5.9/360 oil pan

-

LO23M8B

Reaction score
Does a early 360 and the magnum 5.9 use the same oil pan?

Probably better posted in the Magnum Swap sub-forum, but here's what I know. 5.2 and 5.9 use the same style pan. 318 LA pan won't work on a Magnum. 360 LA pan will work on a Magnum BUT you have to do something about the dimples at the front of the pan near the timing cover to prevent a major oil leak.

They will interchange as long as you use the appropriate gasket/end seals for the pan. Use the one piece gasket with a Magnum pan, and the LA set with an LA pan. If you use the Magnum one piece gasket on an LA pan, you need to fill the "dimples" on the end seals with RTV to prevent oil leakage. LOTS of threads on this in the Magnum Swaps forum. "Search" is your friend.

I want to use a 5.9 magnum truck motor in my car. What pan would be best to use? Thanks.

You don't say what car you're putting it in, so I'll make some assumptions. Use an A body 360 pan and pickup ('72-'76) with same year gasket/seal set, and matching dipstick and tube.

You don't say what car you're putting it in, so I'll make some assumptions. Use an A body 360 pan and pickup ('72-'76) with same year gasket/seal set, and matching dipstick and tube.
Sorry. Early a body but I believe if it fits a 67 up it should fit. I just didn't know if they ever put the 5.9 in a pass. car.

Sorry. Early a body but I believe if it fits a 67 up it should fit. I just didn't know if they ever put the 5.9 in a pass. car.
No, they never put Magnums in pass cars. You need to use the 360 pass car pan and associated parts for that. '72 and up will work, there weren't 360s before that. (273/318/340 pans don't work.)

No, they never put Magnums in pass cars. You need to use the 360 pass car pan and associated parts for that. '72 and up will work, there weren't 360s before that. (273/318/340 pans don't work.)

I ended up getting the truck oil pan and a360 passenger car oil pan fabrication using the correct magnum pan up top the car pan on the bottom. No I can use the one piece magnum 360 gasket and no leaks.

I ended up getting the truck oil pan and a360 passenger car oil pan fabrication using the correct magnum pan up top the car pan on the bottom. I can use the one piece magnum 360 gasket and no leaks. I just go off the freeway no leaks
View attachment 1715809692

196B6497-6E9B-415E-8B29-FC63EF932310.png

-
Back