5.9 ballancer/ early timing cover

-

Blackhatguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got my 5.9 set up in the 64 dart with all the early model accessory parts, including the timing cover that has the timing tab on the wrong side for the marks on my balancer.

You can guess my problem.. I got it to run good by guessing and reading plugs, but I have no idea what the timing actually is.

To fix this, I was planning to get a pre-67 balancer for the 273 (with the correct timing marks) and have a balance shop mill it to match balance on the 5.9 Magnum.

Any thoughts?

Just find top dead center on #1 piston and mark the balancer on the passenger side. Easy fix. Thats exactly what i did my my 5.9 with early front cover.

Jake

I got my 5.9 set up in the 64 dart with all the early model accessory parts, including the timing cover that has the timing tab on the wrong side for the marks on my balancer.

You can guess my problem.. I got it to run good by guessing and reading plugs, but I have no idea what the timing actually is.

To fix this, I was planning to get a pre-67 balancer for the 273 (with the correct timing marks) and have a balance shop mill it to match balance on the 5.9 Magnum.

Any thoughts?

I did that the best I could, but still feel like something isn't quite right. Maybe it's just a perfectionist in me, but that piston seems to linger at the top for a couple of degrees

You need a piston stop, run it up close to tdc going clockwise and then go back counter clockwise and use the middle of the 2 marks. Now you have tdc.

-
Back