5.9 magnum difference

-

93ragtop

Reaction score
I have been searching for a 5.9 magnum to use in a project. One thing I have noticed, it seems that they are grouped 1993- 2001 and then 2002-2003. What are the differences in these motors?
Thanks

Long blocks are identical, several changes in sensors, wiring and emissions. If you are doing an MPFI swap, stick with OBD II which will be 96+....easiest way to tell is OBD I has 1 pcm plug while OBD II has 3 pcm plugs. OBD I also has EGR valve.

Hey Magnummopar, thanks for your reply. Also, could you give me any advise on accessory brackets and drives, ie. My plans are to put this in a 87 dakota 4wd, and I have been told to use the dakota specific power steering pump bracket. That the ram bracket hangs too low and hits the steering gear on the 87 dakota. Also, are there any difference in the years 1993-2003 as far as a preference would be for the front accessory brackets?
My plans are to convert to carb, I have a holley 670 street avenger now. Still need the intake and ignition. Latter, I hope to get a set of your EQ heads and a cam.
I really appreciate your input and value your opinion.

I think in 2001+ the balancer and crank pulley are all one piece and if going to a v belt you will need to get a different harmonic balancer.

I want to stay with the serpentine drive. I believe it is shorter, and clearance between the engine and radiator is tight.

It didnt change much other than van has different PS/AC bracket that mounts pump higher in chassis. Leo is correct, some late model 5.9 have pulley cast into balancer but thats an easy fix.

Thanks for the information. I plan to keep the serpentine drive. In time, I would like to go a set of the eq heads and a small cam upgrade.

-
Back