5.9 magnum flywheel on 5.9LA

-

gilberttitan08

Mexican Hillbilly!!!
Reaction score
Hey guys I know the 5.9 magnum flywheel and LA are balanced differently. But my question is this... what will it take to convert a 5.9 magnum flywheel or magnum flex plate to an LA crank? Will it even mate onto the surface? I’d like to go nv4500 or 46rh on my 360LA Powerwagon with NP435 and NP205 combo, preferably the NV4500 5spd.

I have a 360LA 130T wheel on my 5.9 Magnum. Balance isn't a ton different and the flange is the same.
Why not just use your 360LA wheel? Should have to just change the disc and bell housing.

I have a 360LA 130T wheel on my 5.9 Magnum. Balance isn't a ton different and the flange is the same.
Why not just use your 360LA wheel? Should have to just change the disc and bell housing.
I’m just concerned about balancing and vibration, I’m reading on forums (sweptline.org) that flywheel (balancing) is a problem.

The flywheel is balanced for the motor not the transmission so use your 360LA wheel on your 360LA. Your wanting to put a NV4500 behind your 360LA right?

I'm wanting to do the same with my 73 W200 360 someday.
Actually I guess the NV4500 has the bell housing built on it.

Isn’t the nv3500 the one with the bellhousing built onto it? I’m having a hard time finding the transmission, buddy gave me the gas bellhousing.

Be aware that not all NV4500s for mopars are created equal- the inputs are smaller for the V8 gas motors and larger on the Cummins/V10 units, so they're not (directly) interchangeable. The Cummins boys have driven the price of gas 4500s through the roof, because they can be adapted to their use by way of an input (and supporting hardware) swap. That and the problems they have with the Getrag units are making 4500s expensive and tough to locate, at least around here.

Be aware that not all NV4500s for mopars are created equal- the inputs are smaller for the V8 gas motors and larger on the Cummins/V10 units, so they're not (directly) interchangeable. The Cummins boys have driven the price of gas 4500s through the roof, because they can be adapted to their use by way of an input (and supporting hardware) swap. That and the problems they have with the Getrag units are making 4500s expensive and tough to locate, at least around here.
Can’t the input shafts and bearing retainer be changed out to work?

Isn’t the nv3500 the one with the bellhousing built onto it? I’m having a hard time finding the transmission, buddy gave me the gas bellhousing.
Yes the NV3500 has the bell housing. Have one of those in my Dakota. I'm not sure about the NV4500. I was told the 5.9 unit did but the CTD unit didn't.

-
Back