5.9 Magnum MPI swap flywheel idea

-
FYI, there might be a work around on this issue.

Just noticed that the notes for the MPI kit that Mopar Performance has for the 390 hp crate motor notes that a flex plate P4876706, a Magnum flywheel, or a DUAL TRIGGER DISTRIBUTOR is required.

Search for pn P5153731 and read the text. It might say "available spring 2007", but that is related to the kit, not the distributor (I think). The current MP catalog I have doesn't reference spring 2007, so I am assuming it is related to the kit.

Not sure which distributor it is, but I know that the lean burn systems sometimes had dual pickups, but I also know that later on the TBI motors had a Hall effect pickup like the FWD motor 2.2/2.5 used. Not sure if it was a dual trigger or not.

My assumption is that with a dual trigger, the distibutor could be made to read the crank position for the computer. Don't know what (if anything) would need to be done to make it work, though.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Figured I'd also post this in the engine section.

they sure dont make it easy to use new technology do they

Epic fail.

It was a special distributor that required some special tuning box to lock the ecu so you set the timing. Didn't get past the prototype stage.

Not sure if this is a fix, and the price is too high for me, but thought I would throw it out there. FAST EFI has a dual pickup distributor for the SB Mopar that might be usable to replace the tone ring.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FS&Product_Code=305011&Category_Code=DistChrysler

The instructions mention plugging it into a cam/hall effect connector on the harness, so I would assume this is a hall effect pickup and would only require timing it correctly (in theory).

Yesterday I got my flywheel from Modern Driveline. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend and post the results and details.

Just a question, why not use a crank sensor off the nose of the crank. There was a kit for the ignition, couldn't you use that signal for the computer?

Just a question, why not use a crank sensor off the nose of the crank. There was a kit for the ignition, couldn't you use that signal for the computer?

That was suggested to me by Rick Ehrenberg, and will probably be the direction I go, if at all.

I was concerned that the length of the slot might be an issue, and I wasn't sure which side of the slot was important (leading or trailing edge of the signal). I think in the end I will just scale the length of the slot and cut them into the pulley. I plan to setup a hall effect testor and match the signals between the front pickup and the rear pickup, then remove the rear one.

Lot of work when you can buy a crank trigger from MSD that mounts behind the crank pully and the sensor mounts to one of the timing cover bolts. Will be a lot more accurate than the 8 slots, either in the flex-plate or on the front pully. You actually need 2 sensors, one for the crank and one for the cam. On the factory 5.9, the crank was sensed from the unit located on the right rear of the engine and the cam was sensed by the pickup in the distributor. The cam sensor is used to time the injector pulses, crank for timing and spark. If you are really inovative, find a mid-80s ford EFI distributor, they have dual hal effect pickups in them. Then all you have to do is mod the bottom end to go into a MOPAR oil pump haft slot.

Larry

Lot of work when you can buy a crank trigger from MSD that mounts behind the crank pully and the sensor mounts to one of the timing cover bolts. Will be a lot more accurate than the 8 slots, either in the flex-plate or on the front pully.

The MSD pickup is a hall effect pickup? The factory ECU needs a hall effect square wave signal, my bet is the MSD is not and wouldn't give a compatable signal. I will look into it though.

You actually need 2 sensors, one for the crank and one for the cam. On the factory 5.9, the crank was sensed from the unit located on the right rear of the engine and the cam was sensed by the pickup in the distributor. The cam sensor is used to time the injector pulses, crank for timing and spark.

Yep, I was aware of that. As I am trying to use the factory EFI setup I planned to use the factory pickup in the distributor. Just needed to figure out how to replicate the signal for the crank pickup. Maybe you were confused that I was trying to use MegaSquirt?

If you are really inovative, find a mid-80s ford EFI distributor, they have dual hal effect pickups in them. Then all you have to do is mod the bottom end to go into a MOPAR oil pump haft slot.

Interesting....:-k

Lot of work when you can buy a crank trigger from MSD that mounts behind the crank pully and the sensor mounts to one of the timing cover bolts.

MSD uses a flying magnet setup, and only 4 at that, so it is not a compatible signal for the OE SMPI setup on a Magnum and would not work.

Hello I am in the process of finishing up a few 5.9 magnum flywheels that will use the factory magnum crank sensor but will fit your factory LA style bellhousing. I have used this same flywheel in my 340 4 speed duster since 2002 when I swapped my 340 for a 1997 5.9 magnum. I will try to have pictures posted soon. If you are interested in one of these flywheels or have any questions please email me at duster71@redred.com Thanks Dale

Hello I am in the process of finishing up a few 5.9 magnum flywheels that will use the factory magnum crank sensor but will fit your factory LA style bellhousing. I have used this same flywheel in my 340 4 speed duster since 2002 when I swapped my 340 for a 1997 5.9 magnum. I will try to have pictures posted soon. If you are interested in one of these flywheels or have any questions please email me at duster71@redred.com Thanks Dale

Are you please with how it ran? I assume you would be to have run it since 2002, but thought I would ask.

Any idea on a cost? I'm interested....

Yesterday I got my flywheel from Modern Driveline. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend and post the results and details.

Bringing this back from the dead.

fzmax, did you ever get the flywheel to work from Modern Driveline?

Yes, it was a prototype. He would build more and the price would come down based on demand. It is a billet steel piece and I paid about $450, but I bought a lot of stuff (clutch, scattershield, bolts, etc.) so I don't remember exactly. If you call and speak to Bruce he can hook you up.

-
Back