5.9 Magnum with LA headgaskets? EQ heads?

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
I thought I've read somewhere that you can use LA headgaskets on a magnum engine, can anybody confirm this or elaborate?

I ask because I'm thinking of buying new heads for my 98 5.9L, the EQ heads in particular, and wanted to know if I'll be able to use them with the new heads.

Comments? Thoughts?

Yep you're good, but dont use the thicker la gasket. That will hurt compression.
Use the felpro 1008. If you can find something thinner use that.
The pistons on the mag are going to be in the hole so a thinner gasket might help.

I think I remember seeing a gasket that was thinner than the .038-.039 compressed thickness of the 1008.

Yep you're good, but dont use the thicker la gasket. That will hurt compression.
Use the felpro 1008. If you can find something thinner use that.
The pistons on the mag are going to be in the hole so a thinner gasket might help.

I think I remember seeing a gasket that was thinner than the .038-.039 compressed thickness of the 1008.

Ok cool. Yeah I wouldve taken into consideration the thickness. I ask because I figured there would be more options available and possibly cheaper than magnum stuff

The issue is the head oiling for the LA heads since it comes up through the block. There may be slight difference in the steam holes punched in.

The issue is the head oiling for the LA heads since it comes up through the block. There may be slight difference in the steam holes punched in.

Right, you don't want to forget about the difference in oiling.

As far as any diff. in steam holes there aren't any with the EQ heads. I read their was a difference and ordered a set of the high dollar Cometic gaskets for mine because they claim they are specially made for magnum style heads (I have EQ's) and when I got them I compared them to a set of Fel-Pro 1008 gaskets and the holes are exactly the same.

-
Back