5.9L LA block main bearing HELP!!!

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
I have just bought clevite 77 P series mains .010". Now they are full groove and they have oiling holes in the center for both the bottom AND the top of the main> There is no hole on the top cap..... are these wrong??

The last time I used a set of these bearings in a Mopar was over 30 years ago but I'm pretty sure they had the extra holes and it didnt hurt anything. The engine (a 273) ran fine & took a lot of abuse. It did spin a rod bearing a bit but I later found out that one of the guys in my shop class loosened one of the nuts on the rod after I had torqued them but before I bolted on the pan. I got lucky because I heard the noise & shut down the engine before any real damage was done. As it was, I just had to replace the rod & bearing. A lot of work but I think it only cost me about $30.

You only need one oil feed hole in one bearing because it only feeds oil from the block side. You wouldn't want a hole in the cap or you'd have a major oil pressure leak. Sounds like they just made the bearings the same so either could be used in either position. Normally the one in the cap doesn't have a oil hole.

I have just bought clevite 77 P series mains .010". Now they are full groove and they have oiling holes in the center for both the bottom AND the top of the main> There is no hole on the top cap..... are these wrong??

They put the holes in both halves to prevent you from installing them wrong. An extra hole in the top half doesn't hurt a thing. On the other hand a main bearing on the block side with no hole is, "very bad Danielson". Understand now?

Awsome! Thanks for the help everyone.

I was just concerd that oil would seat under the hole and cause me to spin a main. I have just never seen them like that.... is it just a mopar thing?? or does it depend on which manufacture bearing you go with??

-
Back