5.9L Magnum Exhaust Q's

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
So if i was going to redo the exhaust on my 97 Ram with the 5.9L what would you do?

short headers with the 1.5 or 1 3/4 primaries? 2.25 or 2.5 outlet?

head pipes in 2.25 or 2.5"

going to run the flowmaster y pipe into a single 3" out the back.

this thing wont see 4500 and building it for tq and MPG so i was thinking the 1.5 primary and 2.25 outlet, 2.25 head pipes to the flowmaster y pipe. from there a cat delete and flowmaster delta 50.

ya or nay?

I have the gibson 301S headers (just like JBA's) on my other dakota (same motor as your ram) going to a 2.5" downpipe/y-pipe setup into a 3" cat with dual 3" tailpipes. These aren't race trucks in our cases but still, these motors have to breathe well. Going big won't hurt it, although if you're mostly stock a complete 3" system might be a bit overkill...

I have the gibson 301S headers (just like JBA's) on my other dakota (same motor as your ram) going to a 2.5" downpipe/y-pipe setup into a 3" cat with dual 3" tailpipes. These aren't race trucks in our cases but still, these motors have to breathe well. Going big won't hurt it, although if you're mostly stock a complete 3" system might be a bit overkill...

going big can hurt low end and thats what i dont want, i would rather gain 5 tq anywhere in the range over any horsepower up top.

but thanks for you your input! any pics?

going big can hurt low end and thats what i dont want, i would rather gain 5 tq anywhere in the range over any horsepower up top.

but thanks for you your input! any pics?

Yea i understand where you're coming from. Im over on dakota-durango alot and the general consensus is 3" isn't a bad setup if its a single system. The shorties are much more wallet friendly than the mids like spintech/mp/thorley. If I were you, i'd run shorty headers (i'm pretty sure they're all the same primary size between the gibsons/jba/flowtech) into a nicely bent 2.25" y-pipe/downpipe setup. After that its really up to you as far as budget/sound is concerned. Regardless, you should have a nice torque-friendly setup with that size. Sorry no pics currently, am away from that dak and only have the 5.2 dakota with me currently:) hell, this one has ebay headers that are modeled after the name brand shorties and up here in Flag being daily driven they're great, discolored but holdin up well so that might be another option for you is $ is a concern... -Dan

Yea i understand where you're coming from. Im over on dakota-durango alot and the general consensus is 3" isn't a bad setup if its a single system. The shorties are much more wallet friendly than the mids like spintech/mp/thorley. If I were you, i'd run shorty headers (i'm pretty sure they're all the same primary size between the gibsons/jba/flowtech) into a nicely bent 2.25" y-pipe/downpipe setup. After that its really up to you as far as budget/sound is concerned. Regardless, you should have a nice torque-friendly setup with that size. Sorry no pics currently, am away from that dak and only have the 5.2 dakota with me currently:) hell, this one has ebay headers that are modeled after the name brand shorties and up here in Flag being daily driven they're great, discolored but holdin up well so that might be another option for you is $ is a concern... -Dan

those ebay shorties are the ones im looking at, they have the small 1.5" primary and 2.25 outlets. The summit shorties are 1 3/4 to 2.5.

I had the edelbrock shorty header on mine (99ram 360) and my buddy 2000 4x4 but basically the same truck had the Mopar performance long tube headers and it seemed he gained way more bottom end than I did with the shorty's, we both had the 3:90 and after the header install he could beat me off the line. As before I could take him off the line probably do to the weight advantage. So if I had to do it again, choose would be obvious for me.

These headers were a funny design, they were 2 tubes into one tube about 6 - 8 inches from the head and then joined to one tube down low, they seem to work well.

those ebay shorties are the ones im looking at, they have the small 1.5" primary and 2.25 outlets. The summit shorties are 1 3/4 to 2.5.

I'm not sure if this will work but I bought these ebay item number: 300935249032 and at the time they had free shipping so I offered them $65 shipped and they accepted it! :cheers:

I'm not sure if this will work but I bought these ebay item number: 300935249032 and at the time they had free shipping so I offered them $65 shipped and they accepted it! :cheers:

no pic! do you have a pic of yours installed? how was the fit and flange thicknesses?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300935249032?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

these are the ones I was looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350848114690?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I had the edelbrock shorty header on mine (99ram 360) and my buddy 2000 4x4 but basically the same truck had the Mopar performance long tube headers and it seemed he gained way more bottom end than I did with the shorty's, we both had the 3:90 and after the header install he could beat me off the line. As before I could take him off the line probably do to the weight advantage. So if I had to do it again, choose would be obvious for me.

These headers were a funny design, they were 2 tubes into one tube about 6 - 8 inches from the head and then joined to one tube down low, they seem to work well.

so it would be kinda like a tri Y? have any more info on them?

so it would be kinda like a tri Y? have any more info on them?

Yup, like a try Y. I believe they were made by dougs. I'm sure someone here must of bought a set of them, They fit all 95 to 00 dodge trucks bought through Mopar performance. I wish I had a pic, sorry.

For the ebay ones, the flange thickness was great, and the mounting surface was flat too surprisingly! All the ones are ebay are pretty much the same from what i've gathered, so just get the cheapest ones you can if you go the ebay route. Plan on getting new headers gaskets, all the ones they come with suck. I had to massage in some of the header bolts because the primary got in the way with the bends...they bolted up to the stock y-pipe relatively well, but it took some heat on the head pipes to get them to move about 1.5" to the left. The first pic is of the ebay ones, the second is a pic i borrowed from dakotart, it's the MP/PPH headers the other member was talking about...the tri-y setup. Yes they really are the best for hp/tq/fitment but they're $$$

Please keep in mind that these headers are all from dakota/durangos, I know the ebay ones are universal for the ram as well but i'm not sure about the mp/pph ones so they might be a bit different but same idea, its for a magnum motor....

Attachments

• 38101240012_large.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_20120907_173129.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 414
For the ebay ones, the flange thickness was great, and the mounting surface was flat too surprisingly! All the ones are ebay are pretty much the same from what i've gathered, so just get the cheapest ones you can if you go the ebay route. Plan on getting new headers gaskets, all the ones they come with suck. I had to massage in some of the header bolts because the primary got in the way with the bends...they bolted up to the stock y-pipe relatively well, but it took some heat on the head pipes to get them to move about 1.5" to the left. The first pic is of the ebay ones, the second is a pic i borrowed from dakotart, it's the MP/PPH headers the other member was talking about...the tri-y setup. Yes they really are the best for hp/tq/fitment but they're $$$

Please keep in mind that these headers are all from dakota/durangos, I know the ebay ones are universal for the ram as well but i'm not sure about the mp/pph ones so they might be a bit different but same idea, its for a magnum motor....

thanks for the pics! are yours 1.5" primary and 2.25 collectors? As far as the exhaust im not worried as i'll be doing a full exh.

and yea the gaskets ALWAYS suck!

Run hedders with 1 5/8 primary tube into true duals 2 1/4 pipe. I have a crate 360 magnum in my 1991 dodge power ram and I run hedman hedders 1 5/8 primary tubes into dual 2 1/4 inch pipe with an H pipe right before the mufflers. And for mufflers I m running flo-tech glass packs that have a 3 inch inside core diameter and are 18 inches long. I know people here don't like glass packs, mainly because they are power robbers, but when you get a glass pack with a 3 inch inside core diameter I don't think that is a restriction. ANd my exhaust doesn't run into anything smaller, it only runs into bigger, the smallest part of my exhaust is 2 1/4 inch pipe.
It runs good and sounds good with this set up and i'm happy with it.

Run hedders with 1 5/8 primary tube into true duals 2 1/4 pipe. I have a crate 360 magnum in my 1991 dodge power ram and I run hedman hedders 1 5/8 primary tubes into dual 2 1/4 inch pipe with an H pipe right before the mufflers. And for mufflers I m running flo-tech glass packs that have a 3 inch inside core diameter and are 18 inches long. I know people here don't like glass packs, mainly because they are power robbers, but when you get a glass pack with a 3 inch inside core diameter I don't think that is a restriction. ANd my exhaust doesn't run into anything smaller, it only runs into bigger, the smallest part of my exhaust is 2 1/4 inch pipe.
It runs good and sounds good with this set up and i'm happy with it.

problem with any perforated tube style muffler is the boundary layer. in a perforated tube its farther from the edges than a smooth tube, that what causes the restriction.

Yea i was stuck on the smaller 1 5/8" primary as the exhaust valves are much closer to that then 1.750

-
Back