5.9MAG/trans into 65 Valiant

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
Just about all of the threads i seem to have dug up that mention a Magnum swap, dont seem to give any info on if the trans out of the same donor vehicle can be used. lots of info on mating the Mag upto the 904 that currently resides in the car. If there is a thread out there, then please, by all means, direct me towards it.I am buying a 2000 Durango 5.9 4X4 for $1000, Mainly buying for the motor/harnesses and the trans core ( it has no reverse), and parting out the rest. My car needs a trans to be rebulit one way or the other so i figure if i can, i'll rebuild the trans that goes with the motor and have O.D.Will the tranny from this 2000 Durango work in a swap into my Valiant?

I think the tail end of the Durango Trans is different because it was coupled to a transfer case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

you know, that didnt even cross my mind. Maybe this little Durango wont be worth it to buy, even if it is just for the motor and all the harness that would be needed.

you know, that didnt even cross my mind. Maybe this little Durango wont be worth it to buy, even if it is just for the motor and all the harness that would be needed.

If you are going injected, well worth it. Sell the trans,keep the rest. Just the fact you see it running healthy, is worth a couple of bucks.

Well... I went ahead and bought it. The trans has no reverse gear, at all, and judging by how low the fluid was in it, and how smoke rolled out of the tube, I'll venture to say that the trans needs a full rebuild. Of course I pull into the driveway in it and momma starts asking exactly how much it would cost to fix..... maybe I'll be hunting for another one anyways.

Well... I went ahead and bought it. The trans has no reverse gear, at all, and judging by how low the fluid was in it, and how smoke rolled out of the tube, I'll venture to say that the trans needs a full rebuild. Of course I pull into the driveway in it and momma starts asking exactly how much it would cost to fix..... maybe I'll be hunting for another one anyways.

Sounds consistent.... Sell the core. (Mine, I gave away ).Nice buy, anyway
. Part it out,make some cash. Is the overdrive imperative ,upon initial install?....( Just asking ,at least you ask questions.....).

Eh, over drive would be really really cool, BUT, its not an absolute must. Its had a 3 speed auto for the last 49 years, so it can remain that way just as well. I just thought that the od would have been really handy for the (limited) hiway drives.

Well, here's the some pictures of the Torsion Bar Surgery for the Mopar overdrives versus a 200R4. The first is the minor mod for the 200R4. The second is what gets cut out for the Mopar units, which take A LOT more power to turn. Both will have to have new rear transmission mounts made. You would have to figure a way to reinforce the Torsion Bar Crossmember, which many people have done successfully. A concave plate can be welded into the small hole cut in the Torsion Bar Crossmember to strengthen it too.

Your 4 wheel drive trans won't work at all anyway. It's a different animal. You will have to use a computer controlled Mopar overdrive out of a similar year car with your computer though, as it will be looking for the transmission signal.

Unless, you switch to a '98- 2000' 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pick-up with a manual trans. Then you can run a 904, 727(bolts right up) or a 200R4 or a non-computer controlled 500 or 518, which are the preferred way to go if you want to use the Mopar overdrives.

I was told by a couple at a car show that using a 518 overdrive in their small block a-body slowed the car down 1.5 seconds in the quarter mile. Who knows if they didn't use the right converter etc, but they are no where near as efficient as a 904, 727 or 200R4 and take a lot more power to drive reportedly due to the design of the overdrive being on the tail end of the trans. There are various opinions on this, but they are heavy and BIG!

I've got a nice 4000 mile old 727 with shift kit, 2200 rpm stall converter, deep aluminum pan, lokar cable and new driveshaft (2000 miles) I am letting go for one heck of a package deal.

View attachment 200R4 tunnel surgery.jpg

View attachment Mopar overdrive surgery.jpg

Your 4 wheel drive trans won't work at all anyway. It's a different animal. You will have to use a computer controlled Mopar overdrive out of a similar year car with your computer though, as it will be looking for the transmission signal.
</p>
Forgive me, but I'm just a big dumb animal here...Am I understanding correctly that if I use this motor and computer as is to drop into my car, even if i choose to go the route of running a 727, that there will need to be some sort of transmission signal input?At that point, are there really any benifits of swapping to a magnum? EFI wouldn't then be an option if there is a trans signal requirement to the computer, and it would just be a carbed short block assy. Am I completly mis-understanding (which happens more often than I honestly care to admit)

you can use the computer and wire harness you have to run the engine. jbc426 just meant that using a truck computer and harness that had a standard tranny, you wouldnt have to eliminate as many wires. was the durango drive by wire? and what was the original engine and tranny? trannys in '65 were still cable shift. i dont recall many or any 727's in early valiants. you can use the o/d tranny if you change the output shaft and o/d housing to two wheel drive style. but as showen above, its major surgery to the torsion bar crossmember to get it in there. so is it worth it? probly not. if your tranny has the v-8 bellhousing, i would have it rebuilt with using late style parts so you can use the newer convertor. shumacher has the mounts you need for the engine swap. the durango's kickdown cable should work for you, so save that. there's more, but this gets it bolt in.

</p>
Forgive me, but I'm just a big dumb animal here...Am I understanding correctly that if I use this motor and computer as is to drop into my car, even if i choose to go the route of running a 727, that there will need to be some sort of transmission signal input?At that point, are there really any benifits of swapping to a magnum? EFI wouldn't then be an option if there is a trans signal requirement to the computer, and it would just be a carbed short block assy. Am I completly mis-understanding (which happens more often than I honestly care to admit)

Your make that decision, when you choose the transmission. I went 727,reused the stock flex plate notched to clear my converter.Is it a carbed street toy,or a daily driver?... That budget & workload, multiplies here. Absolutely worth it,as a daily driver. How are fab skills?

I would suggest using a 200R4 if you want overdrive. I have a wilcap adapter setup if you are interested. It is the adapter plate, flex plate spacer, and an externally balanced flex plate setup for the magnum 5.9L. I wanted to use it in my barracuda but the car is too clean to cut up. And I have an LA 360 not a magnum.

The durango is drive by wire, something that will probably cost me more fab/labor/money to adapt to work.
Seems as if I got well ahead of myself and my excitement got the best of me.
So for the time being, and since I don't really need to have another vehicle sitting around all the time for no reson at all, I'm going to be putting the Durango out on the curb for sale. It's a clean straight driver that just needs the trans rebuilt, maybe it could help out a younger person that just needs a vehicle to get by with for awhile, as long as they dont park in a stall that they need reverse for...

-
Back