50 amps or 60 amps

-

soaringcowman

Reaction score
Hey guys, i think my alt. has bit the dust so i'm replacing it. I curently have a single groove pulley on it now, and the belts on the groove closest to the motor, and the second one isn't used. On alt is a double groove running at 60 amps, and the the other is a single groove running at 50 amps which way should i go?? It's a 71 duster 318 Daily Driver.

Thanks
Adam

Adam, I don't understand your question but I suspect it is referring to an alternator with a single field and an alternator with a dual field connection. The pulley shouldn’t really make any difference.:scratch:

go with a 60A if you have modern goodies such as a fuel pump or stereo, or if you plan on putting them on anytime in the future. Single groove or double won't affect you.... unless the extra groove bothers you and you don't want it.
To figure out what A you need add up all the draw on your ES if it's 50A or more, you need a 60. If more than 60 go with 80 etc.

well my alternator ended up being good :headbang: i went ahead and replaced the voltage reg. and negative wire cuz mine was ate up. hopefully this fixes my problem

-
Back