50 Years ago today

-

"Dart67"

Reaction score
I took delivery of "Ole Blue" at Courtesy Dodge in Bloominton, Illinois.
Ole Blue The Dart.jpg

I was hoping to go out for a ride today but that is not going to happen.

LONG Story Short a couple of years ago I had a slight vibration develop in the engine and the more it was driven the worse it got.
So I have not been driving the car.
I decided to finally find the vibration.
So here is what "Ole Blue looks like today on the 50th anniversary of bringing the car home.

DSCF2651-1.jpg

And here is what I found, 8 rod bearings gone. Numbers 1 and 2 were the cause of the vibration for the most part.

DSCF2653-1.jpg

DSCF2655-1.jpg

DSCF2656-1.jpg

DSCF2664-1.jpg

This is a 292 cu.in. 273.

I don't have the time or the $$$ to rebuild it right now. Maybe in the future

I still have my original short block, so I am going to be putting it back in the car over the next few days.

Herb

Ole Blue The Dart.jpg

sweet
so...at what point did she become "ole" blue?

I will own my 67 GTS 50 years in two more days. Glad someone else has kept theirs too.

DSC_5204.JPG

I think there are many of us on this site that wish we still had that old, first Mopar.

I still own my first Mopar also a 67 Dart, but I've only owned it for 18 years. I think it might even be the same color, if yours is B2.

Del,

What is even more amazing is that we still have my wife's first car a 1967 Nova SS 250 cu in 6 cylinder.
Although it needs a total restoration.
These are the cars we were driving when we first met.
This is ( I won't go..." unbelievably, or awesome or anything else... Just intellectual, and love for your cars.... Good luck!
Herb

Sorry...! Look in the edit box, lol.....

-- Amazing that you still have the car. !!WOW!! --
-- I agree. -- Unfortunately, I didn't know enough to keep My Muscle Cars, of the era. -- 62 Corvette, - 64 Falcon, 260 4 spd. - 65 Belvedere 426 Wedge, 4 spd - 66 L79, 327, 350 HP, 4 spd. Nova SS. -- :( --

Last edited:
I think there are many of us on this site that wish we still had that old, first Mopar.

My first Mopar ('71 Duster) lasted me almost 13 years, an eternity for a daily driver car here in northern New England. Had ~280k on it when I parked it for the last time. While there wasn't a lot of visible rust, the floor pans & frame rails were pretty well gone.

Funny though, I remember in the '73/74 "energy crisis" when a lot of people I knew were going to Japanese cars. I wasn't one of them. A friend of mine told me to tell me how great I thought my Duster was once it had 150k on it. So I did. He'd been thru 2 toyotas & a Datsun by that point.
Not that I would remind him of his statement or rub it in... :lol:

-- I remember in the '73/74 "energy crisis" when a lot of people I knew were going to Japanese cars. --
-- That's when Muscle Cars got real cheap. -- My friend bought a real good Baldwin Motion, 427, Camaro for $800. It's now worth over a $100K.

Yep,I still remember very well 50 years ago today going to Carl Price Lincoln, Mercury Dodge in Jasper, Al and driving away with my 67 GTS 383 4 bbl for the sum of $2800. It was raining and I asked the service manager how long I needed to break it in and he told me as soon as the pavement dried up it was ready to go. I didn't wait until it dried up, I passed a car going out of town and hit passing gear at about 45 mph and got sideways. I have loved this car ever since. The 383 is lone gone but that is another story. It now has a Matt Hensley built 499" stroker.

DSC_5205.JPG

Yep,I still remember very well 50 years ago today going to Carl Price Lincoln, Mercury Dodge in Jasper, Al and driving away with my 67 GTS 383 4 bbl for the sum of $2800. It was raining and I asked the service manager how long I needed to break it in and he told me as soon as the pavement dried up it was ready to go. I didn't wait until it dried up, I passed a car going out of town and hit passing gear at about 45 mph and got sideways. I have loved this car ever since. The 383 is lone gone but that is another story. It now has a Matt Hensley built 499" stroker.

View attachment 1715044612

I special ordered mine. At the time I ordered it the 383 was not available and I did not want to wait so I ordered the "Charger" 273 4 bbl. with a 4 speed.

It is great that you still have your car 50 years later also.

Not too many of us Original Owners around.

Herb

I had looked at a white with black vinyl top 383 4 speed at the dealer here in Northport but glad I got the red with 727. I ran into the 4 speed one on the street and we went outside of town and I out ran him 3 times. First time I spun really bad because I didn't know the road and then I came out lighter each time beating him worse each time. That was the last time I saw that car. Always wondered what happened to it. My son is 41 yrs old and I let him drive mine for his first time this past Christmas. He always shows it off to his friends when they come up. Before I let him drive it he would tell everybody I would be buried in it.

I took delivery of "Ole Blue" at Courtesy Dodge in Bloominton, Illinois.
View attachment 1715044013

I was hoping to go out for a ride today but that is not going to happen.

LONG Story Short a couple of years ago I had a slight vibration develop in the engine and the more it was driven the worse it got.
So I have not been driving the car.
I decided to finally find the vibration.
So here is what "Ole Blue looks like today on the 50th anniversary of bringing the car home.

View attachment 1715044015
And here is what I found, 8 rod bearings gone. Numbers 1 and 2 were the cause of the vibration for the most part.

View attachment 1715044016
View attachment 1715044017
View attachment 1715044018

View attachment 1715044019

This is a 292 cu.in. 273.

I don't have the time or the $$$ to rebuild it right now. Maybe in the future

I still have my original short block, so I am going to be putting it back in the car over the next few days.

Herb

View attachment 1715044006
I have a question about the fender trim, is yours stock? It's on the side at the top of your car and all others I've seen is like @red67gts car with the trim on top of the fender. Yours doesn't seem to have the turn signal indicator and I can't tell if it has the kick up on the rear fender pice, a glare is hiding it from me. Just noticed that and thought I'd ask, early production car, early trim version, or something similar?

Happy birthday Blue... my car's birthday is in December, not many original 4 doors left. This cars bill of sale is dated same day my wife was born. I told her we had to buy the car and I'll never forget her birthday haha

I have a question about the fender trim, is yours stock? It's on the side at the top of your car and all others I've seen is like @red67gts car with the trim on top of the fender. Yours doesn't seem to have the turn signal indicator and I can't tell if it has the kick up on the rear fender pice, a glare is hiding it from me. Just noticed that and thought I'd ask, early production car, early trim version, or something similar?

My Dart is a 1967 Dart 270 model. All Dart 270 models had the fender trim like you see on my car. The Dart 270 has only the four trim pieces (2 on top and 2 0n bottom) on the rear of the trunk with no panel.

red67gts has a 1967 Dart GTS. The Dart GT and GTS has the trim as you see it on his car. The Dart GT has the four trim pieces (2 on top and 2 0n bottom) on the rear of the trunk with a trim panel.

A base model 1967 Dart has no trim at all.

Herb

Last edited:
-
Back