500ci street ride, what head to use?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`m leaning toward building a 500 or 512 stroker engine for use on the street. I`m currently running a 440-6 w/a set of 906`s ,88cc that are bowl blended and gasket matched. I`d like to keep the valvetrain I`ve got which is the 2.14/1.81 valves w/dual springs w/damper, and a solid cam with roller rockers in their standard positions. What would be the best choice for an aluminum head that I can swap out my valvetrain with, and satisfy the hunger of 500 cubic inches? I`d prefer not to have to mortgage the house either! Thanks

Cheaply done, Edelbrocks home ported/touched up and back cut valves.
Money well spent, Preped and touched up Indy's EZ. (?)
Money,......well........spent, ported iron.

Sell the iron and roll it over into the new head. Seriously speaking, if your not going to step up a bit on 500 cubes, you were better off building a 440. Otherwise, the 500 will perform like a 440 if you leave it choked via the head.

Iron heads,especially for a street ride can support 500ci.
They will need big valves and some help. With the right cam and setup,
they will work though, and you will have a torque monster. :toothy7:

Welcome aboard KS. You know, your right, we do not have enuff info on his build. I think it's a bit more than ported iron heads will handle. I forget these things. Hehe.

he did say STREET use,so i would have to think that the EDDY's would be more than enough for what he wants to do.

my dad just built a 499" with eddys that only flowed 297@600,we had to run small headers and a 850 because the big headers and dom. did come in in time and the motor still dynoed 614hp@5400 and 668tq@4400.

so,with a little preping,he should be ok.

mikesduster said:
he did say STREET use,so i would have to think that the EDDY's would be more than enough for what he wants to do.

my dad just built a 499" with eddys that only flowed 297@600,we had to run small headers and a 850 because the big headers and dom. did come in in time and the motor still dynoed 614hp@5400 and 668tq@4400.

so,with a little preping,he should be ok.

That`s what I`m talking about Mike, and your father used the Eddy Performers? What sort of work did he do to the heads?

I thought about just opening up the 906`s some more and adding more cam, but I like the idea of losing 40 pounds. When I started researching aluminum bb heads, there are many choices, for example the Eddy Performers, Eddy Victors, Indys and Indy EZ`s, Mopar Stage VI`s, etc. As you read about them, some must have special intakes, offset rockers, changes in port positions, angled plugs, and so forth. A big ported/ big valved 906 in aluminum would be great. I`d like to use my 6 pack induction still ,and I`d like something streetable, that I can use most of my present valvetrain with, (since it`s still quite fresh), compatible with factory configured intake and exhaust positioning , and take advantage of the big cubic inches.

-
Back