505 blower motor on the dyno

-

AndyF

Reaction score
Getting ready to run a 505 inch blower motor on the dyno. We'll run it first with NA with a carb and then once the engine condition is verified we'll add the blower. Should make around 600 hp NA and then make more than 700 hp with the blower. Engine has a gear drive so it will be noisy. Going into a street car. More show than go, but it will be a fun ride.

Blown 505 (Large).JPG

IMG_2708 (Large).JPG

Looks like a BDS 8/71 !

If it makes 600 straight up,,,,,,it will make more than 700 with the compressor .
Closer to 800 .

Tommy

Getting ready to run a 505 inch blower motor on the dyno. We'll run it first with NA with a carb and then once the engine condition is verified we'll add the blower. Should make around 600 hp NA and then make more than 700 hp with the blower. Engine has a gear drive so it will be noisy. Going into a street car. More show than go, but it will be a fun ride.

View attachment 1716272584

View attachment 1716272585
Is that a 240 or 270 head build ?

Heads are OOTB Trick Flow 240. Bottom end is nothing special, just a generic 4.250 stroker kit with dished pistons. Compression is too high for much boost so we're setting it up with 15% underdrive on the blower. Don't want the customer to blow it apart the first time he puts his foot in it. Customer is building some kind of Pro Street car. I don't know which make or model. I think he has a rack and pinion front conversion which is why he went with the dragster oil pan.

Heads are OOTB Trick Flow 240. Bottom end is nothing special, just a generic 4.250 stroker kit with dished pistons. Compression is too high for much boost so we're setting it up with 15% underdrive on the blower. Don't want the customer to blow it apart the first time he puts his foot in it. Customer is building some kind of Pro Street car. I don't know which make or model. I think he has a rack and pinion front conversion which is why he went with the dragster oil pan.
That's definitely going to make great power.
It will be interesting to see what the 240s can do with a blower

I think it uses a rope starter wrapped around the bottom pulley.
Takes two to pull on the rope.

The starter is on the dyno itself, not the engine. Having it that way saves a lot of fiddling around when you have a Mopar one day, Chevy the next, day after that you have a Rambler motor, etc.

I seen a video of the engine running, what is the update on power & such ?

Made 700/700 at 5500. We shut it off there because we didn't want to blow the bottom end out of the stock block. Torque curve was flat and power was headed to the moon when we shut it off.

Made 700/700 at 5500. We shut it off there because we didn't want to blow the bottom end out of the stock block. Torque curve was flat and power was headed to the moon when we shut it off.

Is that your preferred limit for power on a stock block?
Reason I ask is I'm thinking about a cam swap in the future, my engine makes real close to 700
With 240s and a sorta small solid flat tappet cam.
Just wondering if 725-730 is something to worry about with a studded 73 400 block

440 blocks have a habit of developing cracks around the main bearing’s webbing with boost, excessive RPM’s will add to this.
400 blocks are actually a better option for a boosted application.

Engine test is finished and the engine is sitting in a dolly waiting for the customer to take it home and enjoy it.

IMG_2736 (Large).JPG

-
Back