512 B1 heads HP?

-

68 barracuda 68

Reaction score
Hello
Have a 400cid stroked to 512 with ported B1 heads, 12:1 in comp an roller cam with 700 lift,
getting it together now, anyone know how mutch horsepower this will give?

I built a 498 with Indy 440-1 heads, 690 lift roller....ran 9.50 in a 3000 lbs dart
Thats great, my car is about same weight.
Cant wait until its finish, then dyno testing. What hp wojld be realistic to get?

79512B49-9E96-4E32-A5C4-CCA0C533DA38.jpeg
996F99F8-2BF0-4290-9F69-A2654399AAE9.jpeg
B1 heads suck out of the box so just saying they are ported gives us nothing to go with to give you a horsepower number. Cam specs would also be needed as would compression numbers and I’m assuming the single 4 barrel intake the heads come with. It’s a good piece. I can’t even give you a horsepower numbers from my B1 headed 572. I know mine should by slightly over 600

i have to same thing,can only get 6.20s out of it in a lite weight dart,i had better et with indy sr or 440-1 heads

A Friend's 500 Iron Indy headed little motor makes 800HP on c16. I was warned to keep this engine off the Alcohol, or it would rip the main webs out and be gone, in short order. The Indy motor has been running 1/8 miles for 4 seasons now and we have been careful with the tune.
Another Bud built a very similar B-1 headed 500 on E85 and threw it in the trash the 1st time he run it all out. The main webs give up and it was history.

I had a 70 Dart weighed 2960 with me in it 451 stage 6 heads and a Comp 625 roller 10" converter 850 and 4.56 gears 29.5 slick best 1/8 6.39 your car with b1's should easily have 700 hp and run low 6's in 1/8 keep us informed on some track time

If you do it right, you'll need to hang on. Pay close attention to the advice on the heads.

Nothing. Sounds like someone can’t tune right.
get too much power out of a stock 440 block and u know it will split the block between the cam and main webs , perfectly tuned or not , its the h.p. that does it mostly, unless ur flat out hammering the hell out of the engine w/ a bad tune -----------huh??
No doubt u know how to make h.p.-------------

Hard to say....I have a friend with a 66 dart, 512, 1050 dominator, fully tubbed...and it is a little slower than my small block (he runs 6.6x ish @ 101)

get too much power out of a stock 440 block and u know it will split the block between the cam and main webs , perfectly tuned or not , its the h.p. that does it mostly, unless ur flat out hammering the hell out of the engine w/ a bad tune -----------huh??
No doubt u know how to make h.p.-------------

That’s why my B1 heads are on a Keith Black block. I would never put B1 heads on a stock block as that is a ticking time bomb. My buddy Tom Hemphill in Pa builds so powerful engines and I’ve seen him try every bandaid known to man and they still crack. My last stock block build made 275 (8.60) passes before I found a 3 inch crack. And that was with 440-1 heads before I really leaned on the porting work. They will be getting a 2.225 intake valve and then on a mega block I have here.

That’s why my B1 heads are on a Keith Black block. I would never put B1 heads on a stock block as that is a ticking time bomb. My buddy Tom Hemphill in Pa builds so powerful engines and I’ve seen him try every bandaid known to man and they still crack. My last stock block build made 275 (8.60) passes before I found a 3 inch crack. And that was with 440-1 heads before I really leaned on the porting work. They will be getting a 2.225 intake valve and then on a mega block I have here.
they don't still make mega blocks do they ?

they don't still make mega blocks do they ?

I bought a used one for 2700.00 that is already bored .030. All I have to do is brush hone it and give it a bath. I have a 440source assembly all balanced by my local machine shop for a nice 505 build for my green Duster.

I bought a used one for 2700.00 that is already bored .030. All I have to do is brush hone it and give it a bath. I have a 440source assembly all balanced by my local machine shop for a nice 505 build for my green Duster.

LUCKY DOG . I`D PROBLY JUMP ON THAT TOO !
Would like to find a good alum. block that way !!

LUCKY DOG . I`D PROBLY JUMP ON THAT TOO !
Would like to find a good alum. block that way !!

He was a friend that raced at Keystone and he had a world block and this mega block for his dragster. His Mopar builder in Ohio died so he switched his dragster over to chevy power. He told me about them and honestly I wasn’t interested because my Keith Black block was sitting unused on a stand. I tried to sell the new 505 assembly and guys wanted it for peanuts so several months later I called about the mega block and he came down on the price so I bought it.

He was a friend that raced at Norwalk and he had a world block and this mega block for his dragster. His Mopar builder in Ohio died so he switched his dragster over to chevy power. He told me about them and honestly I wasn’t interested because my Keith Black block was sitting unused on a stand. I tried to sell the new 505 assembly and guys wanted it for peanuts so several months later I called about the mega block and he came down on the price so I bought it.

What happened to the world block ?

What happened to the world block ?

The night I went to see the mega block he was building a shipping box for it to ship out of state. It was 4.500 bore. The 440source assembly I had was .055 so I called Brandon and bought a set of .030 pistons for it. I couldn’t justify boring it just because I had .055 pistons. They are to hard to come by so I tossed those pistons on a shelf till I need them. When I first built my Keith Black block i had the pistons cut so I could run both my 440-1 heads and B1 heads on it. I bought a set of nitrous pistons from Jason Digsby when he switched over to turbos so they are in it now with a 7.150 aluminum rod

The night I went to see the mega block he was building a shipping box for it to ship out of state. It was 4.500 bore. The 440source assembly I had was .055 so I called Brandon and bought a set of .030 pistons for it. I couldn’t justify boring it just because I had .055 pistons. They are to hard to come by so I tossed those pistons on a shelf till I need them. When I first built my Keith Black block i had the pistons cut so I could run both my 440-1 heads and B1 heads on it. I bought a set of nitrous pistons from Jason Digsby when he switched over to turbos so they are in it now with a 7.150 aluminum rod

nice !!!!!!!!
Yeah , I`d buy new pistons to switch 505 stufF into a diff. block if it was a good one ! I`m still hung up on wanting an alum. block, mines a street car and doesn`t get hammered like a drag car, altho I WILL WASTE A MUSTANG OR CAMARO , traffic permitting .

nice !!!!!!!!
Yeah , I`d buy new pistons to switch 505 stufF into a diff. block if it was a good one ! I`m still hung up on wanting an alum. block, mines a street car and doesn`t get hammered like a drag car, altho I WILL WASTE A MUSTANG OR CAMARO , traffic permitting .

Hellascious pushrod holes ! ?? And ports ---------

DD609C2B-ADFC-4F17-8C70-4DDF59C7EB12.jpeg
F3CC1F20-65FF-45D5-A72C-B5F019C16520.jpeg
03BF4037-9812-473A-9A9D-EE9B49C097F1.jpeg
Hellascious pushrod holes ! ?? And ports ---------

This wasn’t even the finished job. I think I have those pictures on my desktop to save time next time. I stopped at 420 cfm on this set of B1 heads and will push harder on another set I have for a future build.

-
Back