518 vs 45RFE

-

fastmopar

fastmopar06
Reaction score
I read through 67limecrazy's post on his 5.7 transplant.

My research indicated that Bouchelon sells a kit with 518 od trans for this type of installation. Apparently the 518 does not require the trans hump being modified.

Any input from the members??

fastmopar

What exactly are you asking? I see 518 vs. 45rfe in your title but nothing in the post. If your thinking about using a 45rfe in an A-body it'll be alot more work. It's a progressive shift transmission that requires a computer to make work. That's one negative but it can be overcome. I've read it's not capable of the torque handling a 518 is either. Another big negative.

Sorry I was not more clear. (better english??)

Does anyone have experience with putting the 518 in an A body that can tell me how much cutting is required?

The Info I have seems to indicate the 518 will fit with no mods to the hump. I was looking for hands on experience. I looked at the major cutting in the pictures and got a little nervous.

Thanks,

fastmopar

Sorry I was not more clear. (better english??)

Does anyone have experience with putting the 518 in an A body that can tell me how much cutting is required?

The Info I have seems to indicate the 518 will fit with no mods to the hump. I was looking for hands on experience. I looked at the major cutting in the pictures and got a little nervous.

Thanks,

fastmopar

I don't have hands on experience but I remember a thread hear a couple months back where a guy did it and I don't think he had to actually cut the hump. I believe all he had to do was modify the crossmember tunnel. Use the search function and you should be able to find the thread.

-
Back