545RFE into a late A-body

-

Stacked360

Reaction score
Has anyone put a physically larger transmission into their 1970+ A-body car? I'm trying to figure out just how much "massaging" the tunnel will need to clear the 545RFE which is significantly wider in the rear than the 727 and the 518. Its going into a 73' Duster...hopefully...

I've seen several 518 swaps and they actually have to cut out the crossmember where it goes through the hump for clearance. if the 545RFE is bigger than the 518 you will have even more issues.

I wanna know if there is a somewhat easy way to hook up the electronics to a 545..??..

There should be just a speed sensor plug, and wires for the solenoid pack, less than 10 wires I think...

Bouchillon performance can re-program (or have it done) the factory controllers for the engine and transmission to work. They can modify the factory harness and terminate the stuff you will not need.

As far as fitting in an Abody, it's a beefy unit. After seeing one up close and looking at my factory tunnel I decided it was not worth it and went with a 4l65e.

I've heard that 03' computers are different from the rest, and I can't remember if it was 04' and up use one centralized computer for both engine and transmission, or the other way around.

I've heard that 03' computers are different from the rest, and I can't remember if it was 04' and up use one centralized computer for both engine and transmission, or the other way around.

My 02 Dak has different computers for the trans. and engine ECM. I thought that's the way they all were but they might have changed.

The local trans shop down the road (a friend that I went to school with owns it) says the 545RFE are very crappy transmissions. Something about they build so much pressure in the shifting valves that the housing explodes. He says that trans helps him stay in business. There was three of them he was work while I was there. Two had already been rebuilt but not installed and the last one was getting torn down to be vatted. Sure enough the housing was blew off one end... looked bad. I felt better about my crappy 46re in my truck then.

Fishy68 can more than likely fill us in with the 545... it has a different type valve body than others but that's the part that causes the trouble.

I tell you ..... when you walk into a trans shop and see 80% Dodge up on the racks then you get a feeling that there transmissions are not the most well built trans in the world.

I'm not nearly as well educated on the 45rfe/545rfe as a torqueflite but I do know about the problem with the servo cover (shifting valve cover) being too flimsy and causing trouble. From what I've heard if you catch it as soon as it gives trouble all you have to do is install an updated heavy duty cover plate (much thicker) and it solves the problem. My Dak has 55,000 miles on it and hasn't given any trouble but I recently bought a trans-go kit that includes the updated servo plate and plan on doing it asap along with a fluid and filter change just so it lasts a nice long while. A518's also had alot of problems but if you installed a trans-go kit in them early enough they'd last a nice long time. My 93 Dak I bought new had the original A518 trans. (never rebuilt) in it when I sold it at 91,000 miles and it still worked great even though I raced it regularly running mid 14's. Trick was I installed a Trans-go kit right after I got it. Too bad we have to do those mods to make them last. Not right.

I would not recommend the 545RFE just because of it's sheer size and need for a computer. I think the ECM/TCM were combined around 2004 or 2005. Prior to that you could install a switch that would shut off the torque management, result in MUCH harder launches.

As for the durability, I will have to disagree with it being a bad transmission. My friends at the Dodge & jeep dealers say they are pretty good units except for some faulty valve bodies.

I personally have owned two that I have run pretty damn hard in my trucks and they work flawlessly, even towing. I also know of MANY people who race their trucks and have no problems until they start pushing over 500hp at the tires...Then the stock units start to fail pretty quick.

I am in the process of installing a 5.7 hemi and the 545 trans in my 73 duster. I had to widen and lengthen the tunnel significantly as well as fabricate a custom mount. I am planning to use the factory computer. It is definately a large transmission, but I wanted the modern transmission with overdrive to go with the modern engine.

DSC03190.JPG

DSC03191.JPG

DSC03192.JPG

DSC03194.JPG

DSC03195.JPG

I am in the process of installing a 5.7 hemi and the 545 trans in my 73 duster. I had to widen and lengthen the tunnel significantly as well as fabricate a custom mount. I am planning to use the factory computer. It is definately a large transmission, but I wanted the modern transmission with overdrive to go with the modern engine.

Please don't take this as non constructive criticism, but I have been giving quite a lot thought of late to the problem of installing transmissions with too large a girth to fit in the stock tunnel and/or those that cause interference with the torsion bar crossmember.

Because this crossmember carries the weight of the entire car at the torsion bar anchors and transfers that weight into the car's structure through the floorpan, simply whacking the section out and allowing the stubs to float probably isn't the hot setup.

Rearranging and beefing up the welded on tunnel section of this crossmember seems to be the norm, along with altering the transmission mounting pad of the bolt on lower section, the main goal being to retain all, or as much of the original structural integrity as possible. All this seems to be achieved with varying degrees of success while keeping the modified structure from encroaching on the interior. While cantilevering a stout fabricated center section out a number of inches behind the original remaining crossmember stubs in the above shown example may appear to be the solution, it is probably going to result in the stubs moving around enough to affect handling and may eventually cause the crossmember stubs to tear loose from the floorpan.

As most are adding full length frame connectors, some are adding torque boxes, and most are modifying the tunnel extensively anyway, why not instead simply cut the entire torsion bar crossmember and floor section loose from the floor and longitudinals, move it back five inches (5.2 to be exact), and reweld it to the floorpan and longitudinals, fishplating the joints if necessary? Doing so would lessen the modifications to it needed to clear any given transmission and would allow the use of unmodified B body torsion bars in the A body (same hex on the ends but 41" long as apposed the 35.8 length of the A body bars). A simple transmission mount perch could then be welded onto the front of the basically unmodified bolt on crossmember section if needed (maybe not quite that simple for the monster of a transmission shown above).

While at first this seems like a more major undertaking than modifying a stock located one, the reality is it is probably no more difficult and might even be easier.

Just a little food for thought.

-
Back