58 t-bird 9in in a duster

-

THE STEVE

"part-time wheelman"
Reaction score
a friend of mine has a 68 dart, he recently sapped a 1958 t-bird 9in in it. ha clamis it was pretty much bolt it.

i currently am running an 8.25 with an auburn locker, id like to upgrade to an 8.75 or a 9in due to the 440 ill be installing in a few years. i cannot afford an 8.75.

he has a spare 58 t bird 9in that he will sell me for around $100 complete.

i been thinking about getting it and eventually building it and swapping it in my car. gears and lockers ill get cheap because my oss hass several good parts for them around his shop.

has anybody heard of this swap? i cant find anything on it. he claims it has the same with and een the perches are the same as Abody.

would this be a worthwhile swap if it fits? or should i spend big bucks on something else?

thanks

He is ooff a year.He is thinking of the 57Ranch wagon rear end.Measure it,is the true answer.A 58 T Bird is huge,compared to 55 to 57.

ok, thanks

if it were the correct rear would it be a good swap? i just have a mild 360 in it now but the plans are for a built 440. i plan to race the car often in the 1/8th mile

Actually the 57 to 59 wagons and rancheros used the same 9", 57.25" from flange to flange. The cars were wider starting in 58 but notice how much more distance there is between the fender lip and sidewall compared to 57 and earlier. Couldn't find anything listed for a 9" in a Bird.

Could be, they listed it as available in Ford Lincoln/Merc intermediate big blocks, full size V8s, mustangs, cougars, falcons, vans, trucks, etc. Some of the 63-77 full size actually used a 9.375 and the 73 and later full size had a 5-on-5 bolt pattern. I thought it was funny the 64 falcon rear is 3/4 in wider than a big ole 57/9 wagon.

-
Back