6.1 5 Speed Questions

-

Dantra

69 Dart.. AKA Butters
Reaction score
I recently had Bulletproof Garage reach out to me asking if I'd like to collaborate on a sponsored build. He's local to me and and a pretty nice guy to deal with but unfortunately, I just don't have time to commit to a build that's on a crazy tight timeline.. Needs to be reedy for PRI, the first week of December. I did however tell him that I'd be able to pop in from time to time and help get things dialed in. He's putting a 6.1 5 speed in a 72 Dart Sport with manual steering. Gave him alot of the usual info.. pan, steering mounts yada yada.

One thing I uncertain of, is the manual trans set up in these swaps.. Right side starter/ headers? Tunnel work? Driveshaft? This thing may just get Jeep manifolds...

The company is wanting a budget build for the average guy.. They plan to release a stand alone.

BTW find his fb page (Bulletproof Garage). Has something like 20k followers. He's got some willd stuff... Mad Max kinda stuff. 69 4x4 charger with a 12 valve, charger/cuda/dakota cross breed 4x4, chopped up new chally at Moparty. Also has some more normal-ish classics as well. Just a mix of everything fun.

Last edited:
I assume this build is sticking with torsion bars and a stock engine location (not shifted forward)?

For a budget build, it should be driver's side starter. A PS starter will require a custom starter mount and an aftermarket starter.

Only headers I am aware of for a stock location is TTI.

Any 5 speed that isn't the A855 will need tunnel work. When Keisler was around, they used to modify the TKO to kind of fit, but the driveshaft angles weren't the best. Keisler was bought by SST (I think?) but no idea if they still modify the transmissions. And if I was going 5 speed it would be TKX or nothing and pretty sure the TKX can't do the same mods.

Since they will have to build a trans tunnel and crossmember for the 5 speed anyways, I would suggest the Holley mounts/headers/TKX crossmember. Not a horrible cost, maybe $12-1500? But close to a bolt in deal minus some tunnel hacks. Assuming they have the V8 spool mount k-frame.

I assume this build is sticking with torsion bars and a stock engine location (not shifted forward)?

For a budget build, it should be driver's side starter. A PS starter will require a custom starter mount and an aftermarket starter.

Only headers I am aware of for a stock location is TTI.

Any 5 speed that isn't the A855 will need tunnel work. When Keisler was around, they used to modify the TKO to kind of fit, but the driveshaft angles weren't the best. Keisler was bought by SST (I think?) but no idea if they still modify the transmissions. And if I was going 5 speed it would be TKX or nothing and pretty sure the TKX can't do the same mods.

Since they will have to build a trans tunnel and crossmember for the 5 speed anyways, I would suggest the Holley mounts/headers/TKX crossmember. Not a horrible cost, maybe $12-1500? But close to a bolt in deal minus some tunnel hacks. Assuming they have the V8 spool mount k-frame.
I was thinking that it would require some tunnel work but wasn't 100% on that. Hell, he still needs to fab the pedal in too. Honestly, it's allot to be done in what, 50 some days. Plus it's a new to the world system and really having a hard time getting some answers. The system isn't in his hands yet. Questions like.. is it happy with all reluctors, what pedal etc. I've dealt with the company in the past and they really are a great bunch and support is good. Biggest thing is that they are just now dipping their toe in the Hemi pond... this aint an LS, boys.

No ps, biscuit mounts. Looking like the jeep manifolds are the best option for budget and I believe fitment is a non issue and I'm suggesting to move it forward a little. A little means quite bit in these cars.

Any idea on driveshaft adapter. I've been looking at Sonnax...

I was thinking that it would require some tunnel work but wasn't 100% on that. Hell, he still needs to fab the pedal in too. Honestly, it's allot to be done in what, 50 some days. Plus it's a new to the world system and really having a hard time getting some answers. The system isn't in his hands yet. Questions like.. is it happy with all reluctors, what pedal etc. I've dealt with the company in the past and they really are a great bunch and support is good. Biggest thing is that they are just now dipping their toe in the Hemi pond... this aint an LS, boys.

No ps, biscuit mounts. Looking like the jeep manifolds are the best option for budget and I believe fitment is a non issue and I'm suggesting to move it forward a little. A little means quite bit in these cars.

Any idea on driveshaft adapter. I've been looking at Sonnax...

I assumed it was a stick 5 speed! Didn't even realize I was assuming until it dawned on me that you probably mean a 5 speed auto that comes with the Hemi since the available 5 speed sticks don't need an adapter. And since the 2WD 545RFE uses a slip yoke I am guessing it is a NAG1?

Found this one for a NAG1:

I found Sonnex ones that say they fit a TR6060 but nothing about the NAG1. And it sounds like there are 3 bolt and 4 bolt outputs on them?

I assumed it was a stick 5 speed! Didn't even realize I was assuming until it dawned on me that you probably mean a 5 speed auto that comes with the Hemi since the available 5 speed sticks don't need an adapter. And since the 2WD 545RFE uses a slip yoke I am guessing it is a NAG1?

Found this one for a NAG1:

[/URL]

I found Sonnex ones that say they fit a TR6060 but nothing about the NAG1. And it sounds like there are 3 bolt and 4 bolt outputs on them?
It is a stick.. NV3500. Sorry, I wasn't really clear on that

??? The pictures I found make me think it is a slip yoke output. Why does it need an adapter?

Screenshot_20241003-182548_Chrome.jpg

See that's where I was confused
That's a TR6060 6 speed. The OEM equivalent of the T56 Magnum.

This is an NV3500

img_0061-jpg.4980

img_0066-jpg.4976
See, that's where I was confused... Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying and he was talking about 2 different things. He said he's got a NV3500 and in the same breath asked about adapting to the 3 bolt flange for a driveshaft. I sent him a couple pics last night and yea, it's a NV. So I guess nevermind about the adapter. He never did clarify the 3 bolt flange question...

Thanks for the input. I knew that you would know some details.

-
Back