6.1 fuel system help

-

Badart

Reaction score
A friend of mine is doing the fuel system on his 6.1 hemi swap into his 72 cuda' and need some advice. I need to know what you did for you entire fuel system. Like the pump, what size line, which regulator, return line and how it's connected to the fuel rail. Lets hear some specs and see some pics. Thanks Fabo.

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,157
  • photo(7).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,104
  • photo(4).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,081
Firstly, that car is freakin gorgeous. Secondly, I have a rather unique setup as I used an Indy intake and my own custom made fuel rails, but here's what I've got on my 5.7:

Hot Rod City Garage aluminum fuel tank with in-tank pump (used to be a Walbro 255, they swapped to a different brand, but it's an equivalent pump as far as ratings are concerned)
-10 AN feed line from the tank to a Y block
Y block splits the -10 line into two -6 AN lines (one into the back of each rail)
From the front of the rail out of -6 lines to my regulator (Aeromotive 13301, got it in a package with other parts)
Return line on the regulator goes into the stock hard line back to the tank
-6 soft line from the factory hard line back into the tank

All the line and fittings are Summit Twist-Tite soft lines. Super easy to plumb and put together and leak free on the first try, lol. They are NHRA rated and are similar to nylon braided lines, though they don't have the external braid (they look like regular rubber hoses, but they are rated to 250 psi). I don't have any pictures right now, but I'll try to get some tomorrow.

I think you can buy the connectors somewhere that will hook up to the stock style quick disconnect fitting on the intake manifold, but I'm not sure exactly where. I've heard other people mention them and I'm sure they're out there, but I didn't have to worry about it, I had other problems trying to get my rails to fit, lol.

I don't think the Hemi matters, other than where the fuel connection are. I have a post on my setup with photos. I used a Walbro external pump, $20 Corvette filter/reg, with new 3/8" steel supply tubing and existing 5/16" tubing for return. I put in a new $45 off ebay sender w/ 3/8" outlet and used the 1/4" return (a bit too restrictive).

Thanks for the replies guys. What is the recommended fuel pressure sent to the fuel rails? Anyone know where you can get the quick release connections for the factory setup? Thanks again.

58.5 psi is hemi factory, give or take. 58.5 psi is what the corvette filter/regulator delivers. It works as a deadhead system, so you can put the filter/regulator in the back and only run the single 3/8" to the front. That, with a 255 lph fuel pump (internal or external), supports up to about 600 fwhp. The external walbro is a gsl392.

Another thing to keep in mind- fuel injected motors don't take well to uncovered fuel pickups. Most factory EFI tanks have baffling and some sort of sump, so it's best to do something to maintain an adequate fuel level at the pickup. The style of driving will determine what is needed as well. Some guys can get away with a gsl392 with the factory pickup and keep the tank full enough, but I wasn't willing to stay above half a tank all the time.

My solution initially was a carter 6 psi 100gph pump from the tank to a fuel accumulator, and then a walbro gsl392 from the accumulator to the fuel rails. My power plans have changed, so now all of that is for sale and now I've got a sump, a1000 pump and regulator, aftermarket fuel rails, and a return style lines.

Attachments

• DSC01016.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,106
  • DSC01091.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,142
Here's a few shots of my setup. The first pictures are the rails, regulator, and Y block. The last two are the gas tank and looking up at where the ports are on the tank (just behind the rear axle).

Attachments

• P1010867.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,028
  • P1010863.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,048
  • P1010862.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,045
  • P1010860.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,053
  • P1010859.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,008
  • P1010868.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,060
Map63Vette,

I've seen the Hot Rod City tanks, they are pretty nice, and for the ones setup for a standard fuel system they are a reasonable $350.00 (which is about double a steel replacement tank from Rock Auto) and they are a quality product.

How much more did they charge for conversion for an intank fuel pump?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

All together I paid around $800 shipped to my door, but that was a tank complete with pump and sending unit and the freight charge to ship it. Based on another site that is a distributor for them it says it's around $50 for the sender unit and another $300-350 for the pump plus about $50 shipping west of the Kansas Missouri line (the prices on the distributor website are a little old, but fairly close). They have prices listed for other mods as well like a deep sump and extra/larger ports, etc. It's a fairly pricey pump, but it's a fully baffled tank. I'm not 100% sure how/if the sump on the pump is set up, but it's a nice drop in unit that is easy to service if you need to replace a pump. I could have had a stock tank modded (I don't have the equipment or skills to do it myself), but this was really the easiest solution for me and a really nice piece.

Very nice and clean installs guys. This will help quite a bit. I am trying to get my buddy (owner of the beautiful Cuda') to join Fabo, but he hasn't done it yet. I'm sure this thread will help others too. Keep the pics and info coming. :thumblef:

I modified a stock 71 B-body tank to accept an '08 Viper fuel pump module. 3/8" line from the front of the tank to the firewall with plastic OEM style fuel line connecting the fuel line to the pump and fuel rail with quick-connect fittings. The B-body tank is the perfect depth and the factory fuel pump module has it's own built-in sump. Vipers run the same fuel pressure as the 6.1L and volume should not be an issue. The 'Cuda tank may be very close regarding depth.
img0031im.jpg

Anyone know where you can get the quick release connections for the factory setup?

Fuel quick connects come in 2 sizes that I have seen - 5/16" and 3/8". I re-used steel braided flex lines from the junkyard from Magnum engines (a truck and Cherokee, had both sizes). I had to cut one end and attach hose to the smooth tubing. You can get male and female sections in both sizes at Autozone and NAPA. They are intended for connecting to nylon hose, which I understand you heat-shrink on without clamps. Plastic tubing concerns me, though most current vehicles use it, so I used fuel injection rubber hose w/ fuel injection clamps instead. Most new quick-connects have plastic releases built-in. If not, you need a release tool, which are fairly cheap. I have seen a tool to swage your own male ends, but costs a lot (~$300?).

-
Back