6.1 Hemi Internals.

-

m79ded

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I got a 6.1 from a buddy of mine and it's very clean but was partially dismantled for verification. From what I read I cannot re-use the head bolts. I understand. I was going to remove a rod cap and main to verify but was told to ask because some say the Bolts cannot be reused and worse yet the rods are crack rods meaning no resizing. So if I were to even attempt to put ARP as on older engines you can't because cannot resize rods? So what, take a chance and just leave them as is and just re-assemble the heads? Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks a Bunch

I think Mopar says to replace head and crank bolts. But....

Be careful of the terminology. The old 2.2/2.5 FWD turbo stuff used torque to yield head bolts that actually stretch. The new Hemi stuff is turn to torque (I think) and is completely different. The FWD stuff used a degree of rotation as well, but the bolts are different. The G3 stuff isn't expected to stretch, the FWD stuff was. You didn't use those terms, but I have seen several posts that seem to confuse the 2 and think that because both use a degree of rotation to set the torque, then they must be the same.

In addition, I think the rods are different in that the rod bolt threads into the rod rather than are pressed in with a nut. So replacing the rod bolts with ARP isn't about pressing new bolts in and then resizing the rods, it's just about tossing the old and screwing in new ones.

I think the "replace all bolts" mantra is more about dealerships (and the manufacturer) CYA.

I did a 5.7 awhile back. Put ARP bolts in the bottom end. Did not change crank or rod run out. But, as Garret pointed out, if you plan to power add or boost, put a drop in/no balance required piston/rod set now while it's apart. On the head bolts, they are indeed torque to angle. But my understanding is they are still a one time use. Same for the lower end hardware. I have an Eagle 5.7 that I changed the reluctor wheel on to run the MSD Hemi 6 ignition. I re-used all the stock hardware. Ran the dogshit out of it with no failure. Your results may vary.......

I did a 5.7 awhile back. Put ARP bolts in the bottom end. Did not change crank or rod run out. But, as Garret pointed out, if you plan to power add or boost, put a drop in/no balance required piston/rod set now while it's apart. On the head bolts, they are indeed torque to angle. But my understanding is they are still a one time use. Same for the lower end hardware. I have an Eagle 5.7 that I changed the reluctor wheel on to run the MSD Hemi 6 ignition. I re-used all the stock hardware. Ran the dogshit out of it with no failure. Your results may vary.......
Thanks for the info and especially MSD 6 Hemi, so the MSD system needs the earlier type of reluctor found on like the 1st 5.7 and 6.1? I was also looking into other engine management scenarios I was told Holley is good. Excuse my ignorance but this is my 1st dive into the modern stuff and I'm learning as I go along. All of you Garret and Dion make great points and glad y'all chimed in I'm not planning boost for now but you never know and since it's apart perhapa why not take advantage of it. It's presently a street driven 10.50 Duster but not a tame animal by no means and was looking into taming it and installing a supercharger be it a H/C style or a Pro Charger would be nicer tamer power.

If you are planning ahead stud it. I've had some lifter issues (plungers stuck in bores) . The studs have already covered the costs of one time use bolts.

Thanks for the info and especially MSD 6 Hemi, so the MSD system needs the earlier type of reluctor found on like the 1st 5.7 and 6.1? I was also looking into other engine management scenarios I was told Holley is good. Excuse my ignorance but this is my 1st dive into the modern stuff and I'm learning as I go along. All of you Garret and Dion make great points and glad y'all chimed in I'm not planning boost for now but you never know and since it's apart perhapa why not take advantage of it. It's presently a street driven 10.50 Duster but not a tame animal by no means and was looking into taming it and installing a supercharger be it a H/C style or a Pro Charger would be nicer tamer power.
Correct. The Hemi 6 only works with the 32 tooth wheel found in the 03-08 5.7 and all 6.1.

-
Back