6.1 with 727 torque converter

-

SRT-440

Reaction score
I'm installing a 6.1/727 in a 70 Plymouth b-body and needing ideas on what torque converter to use. I have 3.91 gears and don't want a high stall...it's a stock hemi and not gonna be raced.
Bouchillon has a 11" with a 2000-2200 stall and wonder if that's the one I need. Suggestions?

I'd like a tight TQ to keep my shifts nice and firm around town...higher stalls absorb some of the "hit" and softens the 1-2 shift.

I'm installing a 6.1/727 in a 70 Plymouth b-body and needing ideas on what torque converter to use. I have 3.91 gears and don't want a high stall...it's a stock hemi and not gonna be raced.
Bouchillon has a 11" with a 2000-2200 stall and wonder if that's the one I need. Suggestions?

I'd like a tight TQ to keep my shifts nice and firm around town...higher stalls absorb some of the "hit" and softens the 1-2 shift.

I'm running a 5.7 with a comp 268 cam, 727, 2000-2100ish stall, and 3.91's In my dart. It drives awesome, has crisp throttle, and moves pretty well with none of the "converter lag". However, it is a bit sluggish/slow moving from a true converter launch in my opinion. (when it doesnt just blow the tires off) When I swap to OD I'm gonna aim for a 2400-2500ish stall for a bit more "hit" off the line and the occoasional trip down the track.

Joe

So any TC for a 727 will work or does this swap need certain size like a 11" inch converter?

Also, I can't seem to get the seal on the crank off...is there a trick?

Yeah any TC for the 727, it's the flex plate tht has to be hemi specific. As far as crank seal, what do you mean?

joeboy is right about the flex plate needs to be for the Gen3, but you can't use just any size torque converter because the size will denote the stall. An 11" would be more of the stock stall variety, but there are sizes down to about 9" that raise the stall speed higher, upward of 3 or 4 thousand RPMs, so do your homework and get the right size for the stall speed you want...

You have to remove the bushing in the crank..It's smaller than the pilot on the torque converter.

You have to remove the bushing in the crank..It's smaller than the pilot on the torque converter.

That's what I'm battling right now...been drilling on it, prying on it, cussing at it...yet it hasn't come out yet.

I used a small dremel cutting wheel..cut it a few times it fell apart.
worked for two installs.

Do it the simple, old school way. Stuff the hole with grease; take a brass dowel nearly the size of the inside of the bushing and hit once with a hammer. The bushing will come shooting out.

The bushing needs to be pulled or relieved and removed.

dbogie, you never heard of the "hydraulic" method? We use to remove them with grease all the time. Quite effective. You ought to try it sometime. Probably the easiest method out there.

The bushing needs to be pulled or relieved and removed.

I tack welded a nut to a washer and the tacked it to the bushing and used it as a puller but i would have to say Cuda SRT8 if I knew about that method I would have been all over it.

I'll keep that method for that and other applications thanks.

-
Back