/6 1bbl with long headers kickdown hook up

-

scamp1973

Reaction score
Has anybody ever hooked up the kickdown to a /6 with clifford long headers and the stock 1bbl carb? If so please send pics so i can do it to mine,i'm not to concerned how it looks,just want it to work.I do have the lokar kickdown kit,but my mind draws a blank on a way to hook it up,so whether i use that or someone else's creativity is ok with me,thanks

scamp rear.jpg

Are you sure the clifford kit is for use with a 1 bbl? I wouldn't think it is.

I've not set one up like that. Fopar's son Mike over on slantsix dot org has one set up on his '68 Dart. He's set up with long tubes and a Holley 1920 1bbl.

It'll be a while, but next time I see him I'll shoot a photo of his arrangement.

Wanna save time? Lokar. I've done Lokars on BBD's, AFB's, 2300's and 4160's. No problem. Get a Lokar cable. :-D

CJ

opps! i just reread and fixedmy posting,i made a mistake,i meant to say i already have a lokar kickdown kit,not a clifford kickdown kit.sorry.

OK, with the Lokar there should be a stud that installs on your throttle lever.
You will need a bracket to hold the cable housing.

The way your kickdown lever on the transmission works, at wide open throttle, the lever has to go all the way back. When you release the throttle to idle, the lever should be allowed to move forward.

The Lokar has a bracket that you attach to one of the bolts that holds the tailshaft to the transmission case. The transmission end of the cable attaches to the kickdown lever.

Route the cable over the bell-housing, and back around over the top of the tailshaft. Make sure it isn't going to interfere with anything. I use tie-wraps to keep it where it belongs.

As you pull on the throttle cable, the end of the Lokar should be on the opposite side of the throttle lever. As the throttle opens, the throttle lever should pull the cable.

I'll go look around in my photobucket and see what I have. It will likely be of a Holley 600 or Carter AFB, but the principle is the same.

CJ

Here's the basic setup on the carb:

Linkage32.jpg

This is a lousy photo of the same Lokar in use with the Carter:
Valiant040.jpg

It's a bit more Rube Goldberg. Holley has a throttle lever adapter for Mopar products that makes hooking things up a snap on the 2300, 4150, 4160 carbs.

If you don't have anyplace to land the lokar, you will need to fabricate something to allow you to land the cable. I don't have a Holley 1920 in front of me right now. If your still having troubles this evening, I'll dig one out and see what your going to need to do.

CJ

thanks for your help,once it stops raining here,i'll give it a shot.Usually i can come up with something silly too make a things work,drew a huge brain fart on this one,,,:-D

What is the proper way to adjust the kickdown so i canget right on the first try?

Right on the first try? true optimist :)
Kickdown lever at the trans should be all the way forward at full closed throttle, then back about 1/8 -1/4 inch. Really depends on how you drive and how you like the car to shift.
It's not hard to do just need to know what does what. The further the lever is back the longer the trans will hold the gears, thus the further forward the sooner it will shift from gear to gear.

well,right on the first try sounded good in my head :toothy10:,thanks for the info.

got the kickdown hooked up,now the trans shifts better than ever,i want to thank all those who gave me the help,and no,i didnt get it on the first try..:toothy10:

-
Back