6.4/8hp70 finally up and running and ready

-

psycomopar

Reaction score
Finally car is pretty much ready to drive/ hit the track. Big thanks to Rick Trunkett and DodgeBoy Calibration for getting the 6.4 and 8hp70 working the way they should including torque management. Still need to add a converter. Has a stock converter and pretty healthy engine. Hoping to hit the track towards the end of August. Very impressed with the combo considering have 2.76 gears in it. Might go to 2.94's. thanks everyone here also for answering questions I had a long the way. Hopefully be a bottom 11 sec car and drive anywhere. Going to do some drag and drive type events hopefully next year. Now it's time to make it look.pretty

IMG_20240718_091958.jpg

IMG_20240718_091949.jpg

IMG_20240718_091924.jpg

IMG_20240718_091918.jpg

IMG_20240718_091841.jpg

IMG_20240718_091829.jpg

Finally car is pretty much ready to drive/ hit the track. Big thanks to Rick Trunkett and DodgeBoy Calibration for getting the 6.4 and 8hp70 working the way they should including torque management. Still need to add a converter. Has a stock converter and pretty healthy engine. Hoping to hit the track towards the end of August. Very impressed with the combo considering have 2.76 gears in it. Might go to 2.94's. thanks everyone here also for answering questions I had a long the way. Hopefully be a bottom 11 sec car and drive anywhere. Going to do some drag and drive type events hopefully next year. Now it's time to make it look.pretty

View attachment 1716281278

View attachment 1716281279

View attachment 1716281280

View attachment 1716281281

View attachment 1716281282

View attachment 1716281285
Great lookin' ride! Hope you can get some of that torque to the ground!!!

I'm surprised a flat hood fit.

So they got the 8HP to work using the old shifter? Or is the new shifter hidden under there? Any details?

Very cool. I've always thought the 8HP would be perfect for a drag and drive event.

The stock tire diameter on an SP is like 28.7", so if your tire is shorter than that you might be very close to the stock 3.06 ratio the Scat Pack runs. And you are probably 600+ lbs lighter.

I like it. I bet it runs hard and cruises nice.

Congrats! Looks really clean. What controller are you using for the 8HP70?

So they got the 8HP to work using the old shifter? Or is the new shifter hidden under there? Any details?

Very cool. I've always thought the 8HP would be perfect for a drag and drive event.

The stock tire diameter on an SP is like 28.7", so if your tire is shorter than that you might be very close to the stock 3.06 ratio the Scat Pack runs. And you are probably 600+ lbs lighter.

I can't speak for the 8H, but on the 545RFE, the number of detents is same as a three speed. There aren't detents for the o.d. positions. I've done a couple of trucks, a 62 and 78. The 78 utilized the factory column shift. The 62 utilized the dash mounted cable shift.

I can't speak for the 8H, but on the 545RFE, the number of detents is same as a three speed. There aren't detents for the o.d. positions. I've done a couple of trucks, a 62 and 78. The 78 utilized the factory column shift. The 62 utilized the dash mounted cable shift.
8HP's are 100% electronic shift. No mechanical linkage at all. They even have a rip chord to get them into neutral because if the battery ever dies, there is no way to move them.

Agree, curious as to how he is shifting. The Sound german trans controller is really the only mainstream one I'm aware of in the states, besides turbolamic, and I dont think many in the states use them. Pretty sure he'd have to use the electronic shifter from a late model LX/LC, or the rotary dial style. I do see the round thing, but i assume thats a digital readout of what gear it's in. doesn't look like a shifter knob. Looking forward to more info from the OP!!
1722186234343.png

great point on the gearing. The R/T Auto LX cars run 2.65's. and they run mid 13's at 4300 lbs with 380 HP.... this thing should scoot!! I'm curious as to what the converter does with 800 less lbs...but lots of guys just pullout swap these w/o re-stalling, so curious as to what he reports! I've seen some diesel 8HP converters used in faster cars, much like some used to seek out the "6 cyl" converters on some of the GM stuff for higher stall. cool project.

8HP's are 100% electronic shift. No mechanical linkage at all. They even have a rip chord to get them into neutral because if the battery ever dies, there is no way to move them.

Agree, curious as to how he is shifting. The Sound german trans controller is really the only mainstream one I'm aware of in the states, besides turbolamic, and I dont think many in the states use them. Pretty sure he'd have to use the electronic shifter from a late model LX/LC, or the rotary dial style. I do see the round thing, but i assume thats a digital readout of what gear it's in. doesn't look like a shifter knob. Looking forward to more info from the OP!!
View attachment 1716282172
He's running the standard LX/LC shifter. You can see where he had to notch the panel to allow it to pop left into manual mode. The throws are pretty short when compared to old school shifters. He just took off the T and added his knob. They make adapters. I did something pretty similar on my A100.. just reused a (modified) factory bexel, added a boot and a factory knob.

He's running the standard LX/LC shifter. You can see where he had to notch the panel to allow it to pop left into manual mode. The throws are pretty short when compared to old school shifters. He just took off the T and added his knob. They make adapters. I did something pretty similar on my A100.. just reused a (modified) factory bexel, added a boot and a factory knob.

Thanks! Pretty slick.

Sorry for the late response had a busy weekend. Thanks for all the good comments. Yes it is a factory lc/lx shifter I took the handle off and retrofitted the factory a body handle. Had to make a slot next to the factory one for the manual shift part of the 8hp. Wanted it to look as factory as possible. Going to try and figure a way for the gate to look alike better. Used a sound german controller and yes the little gauge is the gear display. Have to find a better place for it yet. Took a little tuning to work but am very happy with the final product.

-
Back