6.4l budget build….kind of

-

DARTGAME

SuPeRcHaRgEd
Reaction score
Recently acquired this 2018 truck 6.4l with MDS. Picked it up cheap off Craigslist local to me. Was planning on 392 of some sort to put in my 1968 dart GT. Have been browsing internet for a while looking for either an SRT take out with low miles or just purchasing a crate motor. Ended up with this. I have been slowly putting together the swap items I need. Using Holley mounts, oil pan, terminator max, and Holley swap exhaust manifolds. Everything I got basically horse trading or market place. Plan is to delete MDS and slightly bigger cam. Going to leave my 904 with manual valve body behind it for now. Future plans are 8hp. Question is what cam kit to use? Thanks Ian

IMG_9758.jpeg

IMG_9767.jpeg

IMG_0841.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0854.jpeg

I don't have any experience with aftermarket cams, so I don't really have any good input on those.

But in light of the "budget" idea, why not a stock 6.4 cam? I spent $255 for a 5037379BC cam and $75 for a set of 68277306AA springs for my 5.7 a couple of years ago. I am sure prices are higher now, but I bet they beat the snot out of the cost of an aftermarket cam. I still have to buy new lifters though, no idea if the aftermarket cam kits come with them or if that is an expense to add to them.

It wouldn't give you the same HP as a car 6.4 since you are down on compression, so maybe it doesn't work for you since you are swapping from an SC 360.

I know the heads on a truck 6.4 are different than the heads on a car 6.4, so not sure those springs would work for you either. My suggestion would be to reach out to MMX and do some research. I think the valve spring height is different?

Curious why you are jumping from the LA? Not saying you shouldn't just curious.

I don't have any experience with aftermarket cams, so I don't really have any good input on those.

But in light of the "budget" idea, why not a stock 6.4 cam? I spent $255 for a 5037379BC cam and $75 for a set of 68277306AA springs for my 5.7 a couple of years ago. I am sure prices are higher now, but I bet they beat the snot out of the cost of an aftermarket cam. I still have to buy new lifters though, no idea if the aftermarket cam kits come with them or if that is an expense to add to them.

It wouldn't give you the same HP as a car 6.4 since you are down on compression, so maybe it doesn't work for you since you are swapping from an SC 360.

I know the heads on a truck 6.4 are different than the heads on a car 6.4, so not sure those springs would work for you either. My suggestion would be to reach out to MMX and do some research. I think the valve spring height is different?

Curious why you are jumping from the LA? Not saying you shouldn't just curious.
Not going away from LA, just something different. I have a GTS also with LA motor. Appreciate response on cam. Looked at getting SRT cam but stock is very limited seems and price has gone up significantly. Lots of places advertising that BC cam but then it’s a slightly different copy. I’m leaning towards Summit brand cam made most likely by Comp. I have some summit bucks and a balance on a gift card. Found these on market place new still in the box.

IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

Not going away from LA, just something different. I have a GTS also with LA motor. Appreciate response on cam. Looked at getting SRT cam but stock is very limited seems and price has gone up significantly. Lots of places advertising that BC cam but then it’s a slightly different copy. I’m leaning towards Summit brand cam made most likely by Comp. I have some summit bucks and a balance on a gift card. Found these on market place new still in the box.

View attachment 1716312796

View attachment 1716312797

It has certainly gone up, $342 vs. $225 when I bought it here. That should be an OEM cam, not a copy.

What's the Summit cam cost?

If it matters, Holley is selling the swap headers again. But over $700 while I got mine for $486 before they were discontinued so they have gone up a bunch.

I understand having both, my '74 is an LA but my '73 will be 5.7/T56. After I get the '73 up and running I will evaluation parking space and such and decide if I can keep both and which one I like better.

Cool supercharger, is that a B&M 144? What intake? Are you possibly selling?

Nice. I like the "no springs" ability. For what it's worth, the stock 6.4 SRT cam might be a little bigger duration wise but lift seems pretty comparable.

Here's the spec's I have for the SRT 6.4 cam.

Adv duration - 286/288
0.050 duration - 221/225
Lift - 0.571/0.536
LSA - 114

Note that I find specs all over the place so I would take them as a general idea. The fact that Summit cam doesn't need springs follows that it would be smaller to a degree.

Not a fan of locking the cam phaser, but I would guess traction won't be available either way so not sure it makes much difference.

Nice. I like the "no springs" ability. For what it's worth, the stock 6.4 SRT cam might be a little bigger duration wise but lift seems pretty comparable.

Here's the spec's I have for the SRT 6.4 cam.

Adv duration - 286/288
0.050 duration - 221/225
Lift - 0.571/0.536
LSA - 114

Note that I find specs all over the place so I would take them as a general idea. The fact that Summit cam doesn't need springs follows that it would be smaller to a degree.

Not a fan of locking the cam phaser, but I would guess traction won't be available either way so not sure it makes much difference.
I don’t like locking out either, would like to take advantage of VVT. Plan is to use car 6.4l intake with SRV. Truck intake wouldn’t fit under stock hood, just barely touch’s hoods inner structure.

I used a Cam Motion Titan 2 cam in my 5.7 and I'm very happy with it. They have a Titan 2 for the VVT engines also, although the specs are different. Since you are using a stand alone ECU, you can use almost any cam you want. If you aren't afraid of doing some port work, I'd bet you could clean them up with minimal work. That motor will make over 500HP easily with the VVT Titan 2. (.227/.235, .618/.618).

I used a Cam Motion Titan 2 cam in my 5.7 and I'm very happy with it. They have a Titan 2 for the VVT engines also, although the specs are different. Since you are using a stand alone ECU, you can use almost any cam you want. If you aren't afraid of doing some port work, I'd bet you could clean them up with minimal work. That motor will make over 500HP easily with the VVT Titan 2. (.227/.235, .618/.618).
Thanks for response Joe. I will look at Cam motion Titian also. Texas speed also has a bunch of different cams. With that lift, springs would be a must. Haven’t ported anything in a really long time, not sure I would trust my work :)

-
Back