/6 conv. on V8 904 to advance stall ??

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
Hi guys, while cleaning up some stuff in my garage, i got an mind flashing idea: is it possible to mount a /6 torque converter to a V8 904 tranny, and if it works will it give me a higher stall/quicker launch. and if it works how long will it last with about 300 HP

..............U sure can as long as ur using 68 up with 68 up ,4-600 more stall.......it will last as long as any factory con...........kim...............verter

..............U sure can as long as ur using 68 up with 68 up ,4-600 more stall.......it will last as long as any factory con...........kim...............verter

I had no idea that you could use a slant 6 torque converter in place of a 318/904 unit...

I might need just a little more "oomph" out of my converter with the cam, heads and compression I'm using...Right now I have the stock 318/904 converter...So this sounds like a good idea...Would like to know more though...

I had no idea that you could use a slant 6 torque converter in place of a 318/904 unit...

I might need just a little more "oomph" out of my converter with the cam, heads and compression I'm using...Right now I have the stock 318/904 converter...So this sounds like a good idea...Would like to know more though...
Hey James,you,ll want a converter to match your cam and gears for max performance.

Hey James,you,ll want a converter to match your cam and gears for max performance.

lol...I know!! I'm being cheap and don't really wanna buy a new one though...They like 3-400 bucks... :l

I think all I need is just a touch more, like 4-500 more stall...It is an edelbrock RPM cam though. 234/244 dur.@ .050 488/510 lift and I have 355 gears...ALMOST 9:1 compression, not quite though. lol What do u think I'd need for converter?

I'm just looking for a street setup, nothin serious for track duty. Would like it to not be a dog though...

just wanna push this thread up again...

next question will be: how to decide between a slant six conv. and an normal V8 conv.

heard that sometimes the same conv.type was used for both by mamopar ??

will there be a list or somewhat out there - to check part numbers and there use ??

Hi Timo,

I am having the same question.
My engine is a 273 with a E-4 camshaft. Duration at 0.050" is 216° and at 0.020" 260°, RPM-Range is 2000-5500.
I will drive the engine in my 65 Valiant with a 904 transmission.
if I want to use the full power of the cam, do I have to use a performance converter, or is the /6 converter correct for this aktion?

FWIW:

The 318/904 torque converter has the same part number as the 225/904 torque converter in 1971-72. Likewise the 727 converters are the same on both engines. Unfortunately, the parts manual does not give the specs on any of the converters, only fitment.

here's the secret /6 trk converter .... used them for years when no one use 904's they will flash about 2200 behind a v8 .... i ve none this since the early 80's .... or you can call dacco transmissions they built me a nice 3200 to 3500 stall for under 3 hundred $ it drives normal it will flash 3500 range ...... an pulls like a fright train ..... another little trick is to use the back 1/2 /6 and the frt half 360 v8 5 clutches ..... the back half gives you a lower 1 st gear ratio :) happy motoring

Hi dartman340ta,

sounds like you know a lot about transmission.
So in my case the /6 is the right, inexpensive choice?
2200 Stall sounds good in kombination with my engine.

trail an error is all i can say an some help from friends along the way .... trans kits i get from dacco they have warehouse's all over just ck the internet the main plant is in tenn. good prices my last one i put kevlar band's in they where 25 an 45 each an a trans kit was less then a hundred i put a 3200 to 3500 stall in from them it was 297$ plus tax when every one else wanted 5 to 7 hundred an a manual valve body i got out this site for like 50$ ... i do low budget :) there easy to do also if you have some of the tools you need to do them ..... fishy68 on here no's them inside an out good guy .... have a nice one

-
Back