/6 cost

-

dartsport73

Reaction score
So today I was driving around and my engine stalled. Stalled every time I took my foot off the gas. I brought it into a shop out on the side of the highway and had a guy take a look at it there. He told me that Id likely need to drop a new engine in. Said I was leaking oil from the head gasket and that all the repairs for the 225 I currently run would cost me more than dropping in a new engine.

I'm trying to make this car my daily driver. Nothing fancy...yet.

My question is, how much should I expect to pay for a rebuilt Slant 6? Where can I find them? If I go scavenging in the junk yard, is there anything I should keep my eyes open for? I don't have much to spend so economical ideas are ideal. Thanks a lot.

sounds like a salesman... not a mechanic...

give us specs on the car, like trans, items replaced, general looks of things

do u see leaks and from where. sounds like a carb problem but hard to tell

sadly, slant sixes are getting harder to find, especially the pre '76 ones.
they're not that expensive to rebuild but there are a bunch of "quirks" that must be adressed when rebuilding one. I'm currently replacing the slant in my pickup with a 318.
I will keep the slant though for a later build.

sadly, slant sixes are getting harder to find, especially the pre '76 ones.
they're not that expensive to rebuild but there are a bunch of "quirks" that must be adressed when rebuilding one. I'm currently replacing the slant in my pickup with a 318.
I will keep the slant though for a later build.

and what would those be?? just curious??

I wish I knew someone that needed a 225 /6 last month. I put an ad in craigslist to try to give away my running 225, and no one wanted it. I ended up taking it apart and separating the cast iron from it and took it to the scrap yard.

Where in Maryland are you located? Maybe someone local can check out your car for you.

Yeah....so am I.

every manufacture has different, how to say, "styles" on engine building, be like me building mopar motors for a long time, then switching to... chevy... (JUST A EXAMPLE!!) and not knowing where the f-ing oil pump is or that oil galley plug on the deck surface...
haha and who would put the oil pump on the inside... haha

def get a 2nd (maybe3rd) opinion. sounds like he wants some business. It sounds like a fuel delivery problem start troubleshooting. If you can sift through the BS the inernet can teach you a few things

To Address your current problems. I dont think your mechanic was worth his salt. I would suspect your "head gasket leaking oil" is most likely the spark plug tube seals are bad. We can most likely talk you through diagnosing your problems and repairing them your self.
If you are bent on having the engine replaced expect a good shop to charge between 3 and 5 K for a good warranted rebuild or "new"Rebuilt engine.
Frank

if you dont have a rod knock or blowing black smoke out of the exhaust, then i would find a good mechanic to diagnose your problem. you can research most garages online to find customer complaints. i picked up a running slant 6 off craigslist for 175. from an 85 van. i just have it as a spare for right now or for a possible performance buildup project.you should search for spare parts if you have a place to store them as they are getting harder to find. who knows you might just need a valve cover gasket and some carb tuning.

I just picked up a 68 /6 and tranny for $200. Just for the record

To Address your current problems. I dont think your mechanic was worth his salt. I would suspect your "head gasket leaking oil" is most likely the spark plug tube seals are bad. We can most likely talk you through diagnosing your problems and repairing them your self.
If you are bent on having the engine replaced expect a good shop to charge between 3 and 5 K for a good warranted rebuild or "new"Rebuilt engine.
Frank

X2 - I might buy into the thinking that it would cost as much to replace the engine if it were a newer vehicle, but it's stalling which is likely a carb issue. I'll bet he's never worked on a carburetor.

Not that it means anything, but in the last 35 years that I've been playing with cars I have never seen slant six with a blown head gasket.

Im in Columbia Maryland.

Well I'm in Elkton, which is probably a little far for you to travel with it running poorly, but if you want to make the trip I can at least diagnose it for you. I'm also sure there are other members closer to you that would be willing to help.

No expert here, but I would think its a fuel thing. Could be just a clogged fuel filter? How low has your fuel in tank been? How long has it been doing this? What (if anything) did you do to it before it started acting like this? Will it idle in park?
No need to search the net on how to fix your car, just search here at FABO.
I paid $200 for a 72 225 with a offy 4bbl intake, holley 650 carb and unknown brand of header. Runs great. Slants are getting harder to find because most folks want a V-8 and just scrap the mighty /'s. If I had room to store and $$ to buy I would get all I can. Good luck with finding the issue.

-
Back