/6 cRaZyNESS

-

Newbomb Turk

Reaction score
I just watched @RustyRatRod video of Vixen running with headers. Great video and the little slant sounds pretty mean but I saw something that drove me nuts.

It appears he has over carbureted his engine. It’s got some big old Holley four barrel sitting right there.

Obviously we need to help our brother out and let him know for proper combustion, better fuel economy and more horsepower that a 2 barrel would give best results.

It’s over carb’d to death.

Surely I jest RRR. Great video and Vixen sounds sharp and crisp.

So much for too much carburation.

Nice job.

Last edited:
He's a great guy and mentioned me in one of his videos.....

He's also a slant six fan, who likes cats, what else is there to not like.

I like his channel because it's like virtual garage time.

I got my faith in RRR, I’m sure he’s measured the fuel droplets and there within spec :)

@Newbomb Turk What size 2 bbl would you recommend? A 500 two bbl would have bigger barrels than the primaries of the 4 bbl, and not be as responsive as a 4 bbl. But the 4 bbl will have less restriction at high rpm/load.
PS: A 500 2 bbl has the same flow rating as 375cfm 4 bbl when rated at the same pressure drop.

EDIT: I actually said this wrong. A 500 2 bbl is really about 375 CFM when rated at the same pressure drop as a 4 bbl.

Last edited:
@Newbomb Turk What size 2 bbl would you recommend? A 500 two bbl would have bigger barrels than the primaries of the 4 bbl, and not be as responsive as a 4 bbl. But the 4 bbl will have less restriction at high rpm/load.
PS: A 500 2 bbl has the same flow rating as 375cfm 4 bbl

I was joking. It’s hardly over carb’d. No way would I put a 2 barrel on it.

OK I thought you knew better.
PS: I run a 500 cfm holley 2 bbl on my engine, and it works well, but it is used just to get the car from the pits to the starting line. Fogger system does the real work. :)

PS: A 500 2 bbl has the same flow rating as 375cfm 4 bbl when rated at the same pressure drop.
So basically a 500 cfm 2bbl is half of a 750 cfm 4bbl.

OK I thought you knew better.
PS: I run a 500 cfm holley 2 bbl on my engine, and it works well, but it is used just to get the car from the pits to the starting line. Fogger system does the real work. :)
I like anyone that brings their own oxygen to the party.

So basically a 500 cfm 2bbl is half of a 750 cfm 4bbl.
Not really. A 500 2bbl will flow 500 cfm at a pressure drop of 3 inches across the carb. A 500 4bbl will flow 500 fpm at 1.5 inches pressure drop. Since most every one is used to the rating on 4 bbl carbs (at 1.5 pressure drop), if you use the same pressure drop (1.5) on the 2bbl, that carb only flows about 375 cfm. But since the 2 bbl has much bigger barrels than the primaries of the 4 bbl, you lose velocity and drivability with the 2 bbl (as compared to the 4 bbl).
PS: I know several slant six racers that do run very large 4 bbls on their engines. But these are race engines with high stall converters and low rear gears, that don't need low speed throttle response. I know of one slant sixer that used an 850 TQ. Very small primaries and hugh secondaries. That was hard to tune the transition to the secondaries.

I just watched @RustyRatRod video of Vixen running with headers. Great video and the little slant sounds pretty mean but I saw something that drove me nuts.

It appears he has over carbureted his engine. It’s got some big old Holley four barrel sitting right there.

Obviously we need to help our brother out and let him know for proper combustion, better fuel economy and more horsepower that a 2 barrel would give best results.

It’s over carb’d to death.

Surely I jest RRR. Great video and Vixen sounds sharp and crisp.

So much for too much carburation.

Nice job.
LOL Thanks. She's a constant work in progress.

-
Back