/6 dual exhaust. bad idea?

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
my 70 dart currently has the original 225 /6. i eventually want to drop in my 360 (needs to be built) and spoke to a guy at an exhaust shop. we discussed a way where i could put dual exhaust on the /6 now, as a Y pipe from 1 pipe to 2, and later cut it after the Y when i drop in the 360 to keep the true duals an mufflers ect

my question it, since i want to go with Flowmaster 40s mufflers, am i in danger of having the /6 sound like a ricer rocket? or will it sound ok? im just tired of how quiet it is, since my 96 dakota i had before the dart was a 3.9 magnum v6 an i had a cutout and it sounded awesome!

if anyone has a 225 /6 with duals like this please if you could include a sound bit. the motor is stock as far as i know, no headers or intake or anything like that

Thanks

I run open headers right now on my original 1974 california 318 2 barrel motor so take my opinion with a grain of salt I recomend you waiting till you have a motor with some balls before putting duals on it...... OH WAIT MY DAD SAID THAT TO ME hahahahahaha
your car my man do what you want to do to it if you dont like it theres always an OFF option

I run open headers right now on my original 1974 california 318 2 barrel motor so take my opinion with a grain of salt I recomend you waiting till you have a motor with some balls before putting duals on it...... OH WAIT MY DAD SAID THAT TO ME hahahahahaha
your car my man do what you want to do to it if you dont like it theres always an OFF option

haha this is true. im mean i want to do this, cuz itll give my car a sound and made the v8 swap a lil quicker, but i worry itll sound ricey haha

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTrcjWtk0w0"]YouTube - 1973 Plymouth Duster Slant 6 Flowmaster 40 Series Dual[/ame]

don't know how it would sound using a Y pipe to make it duals, but they sound damn fine as true duals with and H pipe

When I had the slant in my Cuda I had 6 into 2 headers and had the exhaust bent up like a v8 dual system (2.25" pipe, glass paks) with an H-pipe. When I dropped in the 360 all I had to do was flip the pipe that crossover from the right side and it lined up almost perfectly with the right side header collector on the 360.

Before I put in the H-pipe it sound nasty as in bad but the h-pipe smoothed out the sound and I was constantly getting complements on the sound (no sound bite, sorry). If you are starting with a Y off the manifold it should do the same thing as the H-pipe to the sound. I would go for it.

Here is what my car looked like with headers and a 4bbl.

Slant6.jpg

I have duals off of Clifford 6-2 headers to an H and dump before the axle. I've had alot of people guess just about every V8, then I have to tell them its a /6. lol The exhast are baffled strait throughs.

Hey, BOMBER63, those Flowmaster 40's sound awesome!!! I was thinking of going with Flowmaster on my Duster but wasn't sure if they would sound good. You just confirmed it for me, Thanks. :cheers: I have Hooker duals on my slant with Cherry Bombs. They were on the car when i got it. They sound good at idle, but too "blatty" at full throttle. I get asked at every cruise-in if I have a 318 under the hood. I just smile and say "you won't believe me if I told you, have a look for yourself" as I open the hood. :toothy10: Btw, are those regular 40's or Delta Flow?

I have a dual header setup with 2.5" piping with a Y into one 40 series and it dumps off right after the muffler, it sounds great! Ive had tons of people ask if i have a big block, anytime I pop the hood people are surprised at what they see.. Ive heard a slant six with the same headers on as mine, with dual exhaust, running coffin mufflers and it sounded like a lawn mower so don't go with coffins whatever you do.. haha The headers are a great power booster too.

-
Back