/6 Exhaust and Header question

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
Well I've got a complete Super Six set-up that I'll be putting on soon(going on a '75 Duster), and I was thinking about getting a new header, and a new exhaust(I know I'll have to get a new one to get the full effect out of the super six upgrade).

So, I'm curious as to what brands or types would be the best to get/where can I find them.

Thanks! Will these work with the Super Six stuff, and will it fit alright?

*Edit: I'm assuming it comes with 2?? I won't need 2 unless I'm putting dual exhaust on it right? Cause I am not putting dual exhaust on it.

Well, you asked what the best was....your own words. No way in hell will modified cast iron manifolds ever flow like a header, and you'll have close to, if not about the same wrapped up in the manifolds. Frank on here sells the Aussie line at a tremendous discount from the Aussie site. As for runnin the single exhaust, just make a Y pipe and run two into one. But if the Super Six is as far as you're gonna go, the manifolds will probably be sufficient. You'll just have the same money in them as the headers. Lookin at it from that perspective, I'd get the headers every time.

No way in hell will modified cast iron manifolds ever flow like a header

And no way in hell will pumpkin pie ever taste like onion soup. So what? He's not building a race car, he's building a street driver with a 2bbl. "More" is not necessarily "better". There's such a thing as "too much". And that's just looking at exhaust flow capacity, without factoring in such things (relevant to street-driven cars) as intake manifold heat and automatic choke provisions absent with headers, potential for noise and leaks and clearance problems with headers, etc.

And no way in hell will pumpkin pie ever taste like onion soup. So what? He's not building a race car, he's building a street driver with a 2bbl. "More" is not necessarily "better". There's such a thing as "too much". And that's just looking at exhaust flow capacity, without factoring in such things (relevant to street-driven cars) as intake manifold heat and automatic choke provisions absent with headers, potential for noise and leaks and clearance problems with headers, etc.

Hay, did you read the rest of my post, ya big dummy? :bootysha:

I personally don't like the closeness of the exhaust to the starter !!! Having to wrap it sucks for the BLING factor !!! And yes that's important to me !!! I won't even buy a tire if I don't like the tread pattern !!!Just my .02 !! :toothy10:

.......Should I just upgrade to a V-8? Cause that seems like it'd be the easiest thing to do.

The first (5) years and 30K miles after the restoration my 68 Barracuda had the original \6 built with more compression, a Comp cam, offy intake, 390 4bbl Holley, 6 into 2 hooker headers and dual exhaust. This is what it looked like.

Slant6.jpg

The car ran great, I had a carb heat kit that worked with the headers so cold weather was not an issue, never had a leak or clearance issue with the headers either. I got 19ish mpg around town and 22-23 on the hiway. The car would get a lot of interest at cruise nights when the hood was up (that gaggle of pipes is impressive), but would get a lot looks of disinterest when the hood was closed and they found out it was a 6.

Even with the engine mods (figured the engine was close 200 HP) the car was not fast. My wifes turbo PT Cruiser would walk right away from it. I considered doing a more radical build on the engine or adding a turbo which would get me to the power levels I wanted but it would still be a 6 cylinder which is not a muscle car motor.

I had been collecting parts for a v8 swap and had already upgraded the brakes, suspension, rear end and cooling system to handle the power so it was a simple matter of dropping in a v8 and connecting it up to the exisitng dual exahust. In 05 I built and installed the 360 you see in the picture below.

EngineIn2.jpg

This engine was built with the intenet of making enough power to out run the majority of cars on the road and it does (very traction limited 13.7 @ 102 with miserable 2.2 sec 60' times). I have been tweaking on the tune and presently it gets 17ish mpg around town and 21-22 mpg on the hiway so I have basically not given up anything to the \6 in that respect. The only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner, I have have put approx 40k miles on the 360 and have had a blast doing it.

-
Back