/6 in V8 K-frame

-

Ben Drinkin

Hey bartender!
Reaction score
I've got a k-frame (spool) from a 73 318 Swinger. If I buy standard engine mounts for a 73 Swinger with a /6, will my slant bolt in? I guess the question is, "Was there a difference in the /6 and V8 K-frame in 73?"

They were different. The slant six K frame has a taller mounting perch on the drivers side which is why they have to be cut down to stick a V8 in. Haven't really thought about doing a V8 to slant six swap lol

Thanks. I plan to throw the V8 in eventually, but I really like my slant right now. I'm just trying to do all the upgrades in the right order and still keep her running and driving in the process. Thanks again.

So you have a /6 car and a V8 K frame and want to put the V8 frame in the car while keeping the slant six until you do a V8 swap?

Are you saying with the right mounts and brackets it will work?

No, it won't. (Not factory anyway.)
You will have to modify the existing slant 6 mounts to fit it in there, which to me would be a big hassle.
I would just leave your slant 6 k member in there for now and when you convert to the V8 down the road, just put in the V8 k member on the engine and put it all in place from the bottom like they did at the factory. It's surprisingly easy to do, check out my build thread for some pics of how it's done and to see the differences between the k members.
It takes no more than 1/2 hour to do and won't scratch up your inner fenders or trans. tunnel trying to put it in through the top.
Just my 2 cents.
Tom.

So you have a /6 car and a V8 K frame and want to put the V8 frame in the car while keeping the slant six until you do a V8 swap?

That is exactly the situation. I was hoping it was just a matter of different engine mounts. The /6 car is a 69 barracuda, donor is a 73 Swinger. I already swapped the brakes, upper and lower arms, booster and master... Swinger has power steering also. Wanted to redo it a piece at a time with the V8 being kinda the 'last step'..

No, it won't. (Not factory anyway.)
You will have to modify the existing slant 6 mounts to fit it in there, which to me would be a big hassle.
I would just leave your slant 6 k member in there for now and when you convert to the V8 down the road, just put in the V8 k member on the engine and put it all in place from the bottom like they did at the factory. It's surprisingly easy to do, check out my build thread for some pics of how it's done and to see the differences between the k members.
It takes no more than 1/2 hour to do and won't scratch up your inner fenders or trans. tunnel trying to put it in through the top.
Just my 2 cents.
Tom.

Thanks. Don't wanna deal with too much of a hassle.. As for dropping and installing from the bottom, that's how I took out the guts from the donor (after checking out your build and several others). By far the easiest removal ever.

If you were closer I would trade a 6 K with conversion mounts for a v8 that I have.

what I was trying to say, in these 2nd gen a cars, the k for a slant is unique to it , as is the k member for the SB v8, but remember engine mount brackets and insulator ( bisket or spool type) must be correct for the particular K member. clear as mud!?

either have coi\rrect k member for your engine application with engine brackets/ mounts... or buy Schumaker conversion brackets / mounts....

me, I rather have the correct k member...

what I was trying to say, in these 2nd gen a cars, the k for a slant is unique to it , as is the k member for the SB v8, but remember engine mount brackets and insulator ( bisket or spool type) must be correct for the particular K member. clear as mud!?

either have coi\rrect k member for your engine application with engine brackets/ mounts... or buy Schumaker conversion brackets / mounts....

me, I rather have the correct k member...

Great. Thanks for the clarification. /6 is currently sitting on a 'bisket' k-frame. I suppose it'll just stay that way until she grows 2 more cylinders! Then she gets to go 'spoolin'...

Great. Thanks for the clarification. /6 is currently sitting on a 'bisket' k-frame. I suppose it'll just stay that way until she grows 2 more cylinders! Then she gets to go 'spoolin'...

Sounds like a plan to me. Bolt your V-8 & trans to the donor K-frame, slide the /6 out the bottom, then slide the new V-8 in. The only challenges I foresee are: How to support the brake and control arm assemblies while this is going on? If you're installing headers with the engine, you may also need to remove the steering column for the k-frame install.

Of course, you know the 72 and earlier cross links and steering boxes are not compatible with the 73 and later. IMO, the easiest way to go is to use the donor car steering linkage and steering box on the donor car K-frame.

Sounds like a plan to me. Bolt your V-8 & trans to the donor K-frame, slide the /6 out the bottom, then slide the new V-8 in. The only challenges I foresee are: How to support the brake and control arm assemblies while this is going on? If you're installing headers with the engine, you may also need to remove the steering column for the k-frame install.

Of course, you know the 72 and earlier cross links and steering boxes are not compatible with the 73 and later. IMO, the easiest way to go is to use the donor car steering linkage and steering box on the donor car K-frame.

That's the plan to use the whole shootin match from the donor. Only iffy part now will be the steering column. Manual in it now. Will be power when swapped. I know the power steering shaft is shorter. Hoping i can swap just the inner shaft and keep the existing column. I'll see when i get to that. Thanks again for the info. I appreciate it.

There is /6 to v8 swap mounts.. so you can leave the /6 k in it.. Trans Dapt makes them for $65 thru Summit

-
Back