\6 knocking

-
Reaction score
I have spoke of my 64 dart with the slant six on here before. I replaced the origional with another \6. Three days after installing it the motor started knocking. We pulled the motor and found that a rod bearing was bad and checked the rest which were all good. We re installed the motor fired it up and the knock is still there. A lot of the old guys from our club havent been able to figure this out and neither can I . One other thing it started doing is the lifters are ticking which tells me lack of oil it smokes while running. Not sure if anyone could point me in a direction. I have also posted in another section on here on how to swap from a \6 to a 318.

Are you saying that you pulled the engine completely out to replace only rod bearing? If so, then the problem isn't in your motor.

We pulled to motor to change the rod bearing because you cant take the pan off unless you pull the motor or remove the k member. What do you think the problem is?

Good morning 64dartgold, How did the crank bearings look when you found the bad rod bearing ? and one other thing would be a wrist pin getting hammered some on the same cylinder the rod bearing went bad. Is this a solid lifter /6 ?
I would use a scope, looks like doctors steptascope you listen to each cyclender or anywhere to locate the knock. Is the knock coming from the front, middle or back of the engine ?

you went through all that to change one (1) rod bearing? thats kind of a crap shoot choosing which one to replace isnt it? why would you only replace one ?

you went through all that to change one (1) rod bearing? thats kind of a crap shoot choosing which one to replace isnt it? why would only replace one ?

I agree, and would have never just do one while it was out.. I would do all and plastic gagged the crank bearing.
Like me, we all need supervision some times :thumblef:
I hope we don't scare this new member off and steer him in the right direction.

Not everyone is knowledgeable in this stuff........that might be why they are here asking questions....

Like me, we all need supervision some times :thumblef:
I hope we don't scare this new member off and steer him in the right direction.

yes , i need it too now and again memike LOL, but after going through all that to take a pan off, you can bet i would be checking everything in there, and if i found one bad seed, you can almost bet there is another one right behind it. i would have replaced all the rod bearings, but thats just me.

hopefully the new guy sticks around because there is so much valuable info to be had here at FABO :thumblef:

Not everyone is knowledgeable in this stuff........that might be why they are here asking questions....

You don't have to be knowledgeable. You just need common sense.

Lots of times, there are several causes of knocks. Not the least of which is galled pistons from overheating. That can mimmick a rod knock and fool even the best mechanic. That's why, after going to all of the trouble to pull the engine, it should have been disassembled and diagnosed, instead of guess work. It would have saved you a lot of trouble and you'd have a good running engine instead of the same problem.

XS2... if it is knocking, it needs to come out and thoroughly gone through. everything need to be checked.

XS2... if it is knocking, it needs to come out and thoroughly gone through. everything need to be checked.

Yeah, but I'm surprised my post about that ain't been removed too.

I didn't even know you could buy a single rod bearing. What was wrong with the original slant?

I'm just guessing you replaced the #5 rod bearing with a stock size bearing without measuring the crank. The knock would still be present and the oil would spill there too.
The top end wouldn't get any oil.

You could have a plugged oil passage in the crank that took out the bearing, it would wipe a new bearing out quick as well. If the engine is pre 81 it is a solid lifter engine and there will be a little lifter noise when adjusted right.

The engine is an 82 engine and The bearing was #five bearing. The original slant lost the main bearings and was planning on rebuilding it until a friend of mine said I have this great running 225 for sale so I went that route but should have stayed on my original path I suppose.

i dont know about the rest of you guys but i personally
have heard 2 small block fuel pumps and a broken flex plate
make a bottom end knock also.

so with out further diagnostic on the OPs part it really is hard
to take a guess.

If the knock is comming from a cylinder, removing the plug wire will change the sound of it.
If it's comming from the fuel pump, etc.. nothing you do will change its tune.
A tranmission funnel makes a good stethoscope.

Thank you oldfartsdart! Lookin for advice and got that. And at Wp23n the flex plate is new had to replace it a while back cuz it was warped. I will check out the fuel pump. I never thought of that. Thank you for your advice it is much appreciated!!

-
Back