/6 Lockup Tranny

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
Got several questions about lockup tranny's as I got one that will soon be going in my car.

Were there any other differences aside from the torque converter and the valve body between lockup and non-lockup transmissions?
Will a transgo TF-1/2/3 kit work in the lockup valvebody?
What speed does the torque converter lockup at? Is it speed dependant or throttle dependent or both?
Any notable problems these transmissions had? I never see anyone use them.

One last unrelated question. Would 8.5 MPG be typical of a 3450 Lbs(with driver) dart with a slant and a very tired and slipping 904? Car has 3.55 gears and 25" tires and rarely sees over 2500 rpm. 8.5 mpg seems awfully low to just blame on the transmission.

well thats where my 73 was after my dad let it sit for 4 years... after driving it and doing tune ups its up to 17. first slant i ever had that was under 20, even in my 65 belvedere...

you have lots of other issues you need to deal with first before doing the trans.

Well, the timing is spot on, it has a new coil (I kinda broke the negative tower off the old one) it has new NGK long reach plugs gapped .037" IIRC wires are new, carb's in good tune and tire pressure is at 24 psi. Engine idles and runs fine without a hitch.

The two other things outside the trans that I can think of that is hurting economy is the 3.55's and the front end alignment isn't really all that good but I ain't ready to have that fixed yet cause I need to get new ball joints and fix my mismatch rim issue or else the alignment won't do chit. Transmission is on top of my to-do list cause if my current one gives, I'm screwed.
you have lots of other issues you need to deal with first before doing the trans.
Would you care to elaborate Ed? Maybe you can think of something I haven't.

3.55s will NOT be responsible for 8.5 MPG, so throw that theory out the window. The slipping transmission can be responsible for every single bit of it. Yes, The TF2 will work. You don't want a manual valve body, I don't believe, so stay away from the TF3.

3.55s will NOT be responsible for 8.5 MPG, so throw that theory out the window. The slipping transmission can be responsible for every single bit of it. Yes, The TF2 will work. You don't want a manual valve body, I don't believe, so stay away from the TF3.
Well I know the 3.55's aint responsible for 8.5 mpg but I know it certainly ain't helping either. I figure if everything is working the way it should be my highway mileage should be about 20ish even with the 3.55's.

I just can't believe the transmission is slipping that bad.... Well I kinda can. The car drives like it's gotta stickshift with the cutch pedal stuck halfway to the floor. It's greatly improved since I added the Lucas transmission fix yesterday ( I know I know shoot me, I hate additives too but I kinda figured I have nothing to loose at this point and my buddy swears he's seen it buy months for transmissions that completely dropped gears) and I believe it might buy me enough time to push it 'till January to get the other transmission in.

8.5 mpg :puke:

Ok so shift kits are the same (not like I plan on doing that anytime soon anyways). So that's one question answered, on to the other 50.

Lockup timing factors
Transmission differences
Lockup transmission issues

-
Back