6 pack Drivability Modifications

-

2fine69s

69 340-6pak Rag Top
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a NEW 340-6 pack set up and I have read some blogs that mods need to be done to them for air mixture accessibility and possibly some sort of power valve issues or changes. This is a street 340-372" with 469hp and 493 lbs of torque, but I'm not interested in putting any more power to the motor, just good drivability. What do you guys recommend and where do I get the parts from?
Martin

I believe this is what you are referring to.
http://promaxcarbs.bizland.com/id1.html

I have the Direct Connection, mechanical secondary carbs on my big block. I love them way more than the stock vacuum secondary carbs. The center carb provides on the DC set-up is the only one that feeds an idle air mixture, which makes it easier to tune; if you use a wide band.

A wide band is a critical tuning aid for dialing in your carbs, as is a generous helping of patience and persistence. Once you get them properly dialed in, you will be rewarded with near fuel-injection-like performance.

Be advised that you should ensure that your timing is properly set prior to attempting to alter any of the settings on your carbs. This includes proper initial, total and curve advance rate. Also, ensure that you don't have any vacuum leaks. Float bowl level and fuel pressure are critical too.

Someone wrote a real good six pack tuning guide. I had a link and it's now dead.

If you don't have access to the outboard carb idle mix screws, it's a real good idea to pull the plugs so you can. IIRC, they are too far out in most cases and need to be turned in to get the center carb set up well.

Found it. This guy runs or did run a T/A Challenger in FAST racing. Sharp guy.
http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1398047559/0

Apply your required timing settings to the situation. With what you have, there should be plenty of initial timing on your engine.

-
Back