6 Pack Issues

-
Probably this one. It's a good compromise of quality and price and it has the 1/8 port for a pressure gauge. What fuel pump do you have?
[/URL]
Thank you. I will get everything ordered. Anything else please advise. Should I change the Earls fuel filter and wrap all the fuel lines? I changed the coil as well to an accel coil placed under the air filter element can this also be the issue? Thank you

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200823120452381_COVER.jpg

IMG_20200823_120653.jpg

One other thing I have been doing over the years is to run the Edelbrock intake gaskets that block the heat crossover on the heads.
I’m now running Edelbrock heads without the heat crossover. Takes a little longer to warm up and idle but in the hot weather it helps a lot.
Looks like you have iron heads?
Might try the other intake gaskets if you aren’t now.
It’s a pain to change them but will help in the heat.
Colorado Hill thank you. Yes running X heads. Do you know the part# for the gasket? No sure if that was done when installed. Thank you

Thank you. I will get everything ordered. Anything else please advise. Should I change the Earls fuel filter and wrap all the fuel lines? I changed the coil as well to an accel coil placed under the air filter element can this also be the issue? Thank you

View attachment 1716273849

View attachment 1716273850
Order to your heart's delight, but remember, I recommended diagnosis first. Verify. But I guess the good thing about ordering anyway is, you'll have everything if you confirm it.

Order to your heart's delight, but remember, I recommended diagnosis first. Verify. But I guess the good thing about ordering anyway is, you'll have everything if you confirm it.
That is the plan for tomorrow. Today was last day of work due to a restructure, so will have some time on my hands. Appreciate it

Thanks Rusty. I know you have been part of my journey with this build. Can you advise what gasket to try first. Wish there was someone nearby that I could get all of this fixed. It is a fun car to drive when it acts the correct way. Thank you
I wish we were local. I'd love to help. I've lost count of how many people I've told that, but I mean it.

Yep that’s nice to see and know that you have them installed. I’d go with what RRR has been saying, even though he has disappointed me. LOL He’ll steer you in the right direction.
Keep us updated how it goes.

I hope you find other work if this restructuring is a permanent thing.

I was laid off for 10 years while our kids were young, had 6 different jobs during that time and lived in my car during 2 of them. I wish you well with that.

I wish we were local. I'd love to help. I've lost count of how many people I've told that, but I mean it.
Trust me Rusty - We would have a blast (Karl, you and I) Take the care to Georgia to geter right.

Yep that’s nice to see and know that you have them installed. I’d go with what RRR has been saying, even though he has disappointed me. LOL He’ll steer you in the right direction.
Keep us updated how it goes.

I hope you find other work if this restructuring is a permanent thing.

I was laid off for 10 years while our kids were young, had 6 different jobs during that time and lived in my car during 2 of them. I wish you well with that.
Coloradohill - Thank you, I will keep you posted. The restructure was unavoidable due to loss of business and I volunteered - No kids or obligations other than my wife (She was supportive of my decision) Co-workers have small children, trying to hit the retirement age etc so it was for the greater good of my peers. All good, I am hoping to begin looking in a month or so for a new gig. Your perseverance got you through. Like they say "tough times do not last just tough people do".

Good deal - Also still have that Demon Carb I wanted to send you. Give me a call when you can so we can coordinate. 773-648-3641
Refresh my memory on the carburetor. lol I'll try and give you a shout tomorrow.

I'd like to add that while you wait for parts and tools, in order to know if the new parts actually fix it, I suggest not changing anything, repeating the conditions (around the block to get it hot, then sit in the driveway), immediately check accel pump spray and spark check.

Some other things to think about:
Just filled up the fuel tank (ethanol varies despite label and station ground tanks catch water and may have been low that day)?
Temp gauge normal before vapor lock? Coolant completely topped off after intake swap? Did it act like there was no spark/fuel or was it coughing during this? How long before it was running back to normal?

I'd like to add that while you wait for parts and tools, in order to know if the new parts actually fix it, I suggest not changing anything, repeating the conditions (around the block to get it hot, then sit in the driveway), immediately check accel pump spray and spark check.

Some other things to think about:
Just filled up the fuel tank (ethanol varies despite label and station ground tanks catch water and may have been low that day)?
Temp gauge normal before vapor lock? Coolant completely topped off after intake swap? Did it act like there was no spark/fuel or was it coughing during this? How long before it was running back to normal?
MV8 good morning. That is the plan to replicate the issue - Measure the temperature with an IR gun.
Thank was half full - Care is driven maybe once a month
Temp gauge at half way - coolant topped off
it coughed twice before it shut off - it took about 1.5 hours to cool off and turn back on. Thank you

View attachment 1716273849

View attachment 1716273850
Rob good morning. My apologies fuel pump is a Carter 6270 - also this is the spacer I was mentioning to see if it will work - Let me know. Thank you
Fits Mopar 440 426 340 Six Pack Spacer Phenolic insulator heat soak Riser 1/2" | eBay

1720539120409.png

............also this is the spacer I was mentioning to see if it will work...........

Hey Eddie,
IMO, with those spacers, make sure you tighten the carb baseplate nuts evenly and not over tighten. Thicker gaskets may be harder to gauge. Cracking or deforming a baseplate can be a real pisser!

Ya' probably already know to check your hood clearance before you R&T.

Hey Eddie,
IMO, with those spacers, make sure you tighten the carb baseplate nuts evenly and not over tighten. Thicker gaskets may be harder to gauge. Cracking or deforming a baseplate can be a real pisser!

Ya' probably already know to check your hood clearance before you R&T.
Hey Dave,

Hope all is well - Thanks for the advice. The hood clearance is a big concern, but will take it step by step.

FYI, my six pack set up is notorious for having the needle seats stick, when I shut it down it won’t start, acting like it is vapor locked. What is really happening is the carb is leaking a stream of gas flooding the motor, it starts after about an hour, seats will usually free up with a tap on the carb which has the stuck seat.

FYI, my six pack set up is notorious for having the needle seats stick, when I shut it down it won’t start, acting like it is vapor locked. What is really happening is the carb is leaking a stream of gas flooding the motor, it starts after about an hour, seats will usually free up with a tap on the carb which has the stuck seat.
Mark,

Good afternoon. Thank you - So is there a cure or are you just dealing with it?

Curious, did you pull plugs to see what they can possibly tell you?

Does your oil have a fuel odor?

How about checking for a "pump shot" of fuel from the center carb if it's not leaking down, fouling your plugs?

Might try a little less fuel pressure, a lower float adjustment, and a viton needle.

-
Back