6 pack style air cleaner for 4 bbl

-

JohnWales

Reaction score
My apologies to the purists but my car is not factory correct, so I am building it how I want it. I have a 68 Barracuda formula S fastback originally a 340, now a 360. I am interested in putting the big oval 6 pack style air cleaner made for a 4 barrel. I love the loom of those but haven't seen anyone put one on a Barracuda or other A bodies, so I was hoping to get some info. I do have a fiberglass hood 6 pack hood. Anyone have any pics of this air cleaner on your a body, or any advice on if one will fit and what issues I might have. I hat to drop $600+ on one to find out it wont work.... Thanks for any guidance

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 8.56.14 AM.png

Here is my stock hood ‘67. It fits but is very close. Mine is cut for the tunnel ram.

I’ll sell you the complete real six pack setup.

IMG_8940.jpeg

IMG_8937.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

They won’t fit backwards
Actually I should say that you can’t put them on backwards. They only go together one way. Murphy’s law?

I have a Sixpack. Believe that my engine sits a little bit lower because of my aftermarket front suspension, plenty of room. Plus, you have 1/2" of play in your motor mounts at the engine block.

20210419_212054.jpg

They have 2 heights on the OEM 4-barrel type base the RD 440 is shorter due to the taller deck height, that could give you some more space to clear the hood.

I have a Sixpack. Believe that my engine sits a little bit lower because of my aftermarket front suspension, plenty of room. Plus, you have 1/2" of play in your motor mounts at the engine block.

View attachment 1716220625
Thanks! I am less worried about height since I do have the 6 pack hood but was wondering about clearance from the wiper motor and distributor

They have 2 heights on the OEM 4-barrel type base the RD 440 is shorter due to the taller deck height, that could give you some more space to clear the hood.
Thanks! I am less worried about height since I do have the 6 pack hood but was wondering about clearance from the wiper motor and distributor

I've read articles and seen it before at car shows you need to use the 3-speed wiper motor & stock size distributor and cap, if you plan on A/C you will need to move compressor or trim base to make room.

If it helps at all, my old 440 six pack here has a shaker base. I only needed a slight bend to clear the 2 speed.

1710267497857.png

These other bases would likely need notches for a 440....

1710268906448.png

1710269054511.png

The front passenger side should be the tightest for hood to lid clearance due to engine offset.

I had one on my 71 340 Duster. Pretty sure it was a 440 one. Fit fine under the stock hood. Factory 340 intake and carb.

I will do that when I get back from MATS and Winternationals
in a couple weeks.

In the mead time you can search For Sale ads on this site a year
ago or two. It was advertised for $650.00 there

-
Back