/6 Possibilities

-

ellococt

Reaction score
Helllo all,

Well once again here we are with yet another what should i do to my slant six thread lol.

Im going to be receiving an early christmas gift from our member Burntorange70 a slant six with a 904 tranny automatic :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Yes before i posted i searched other posts but i found that all the parts mentioned were really expensive im looking to make this slant six my daily driver with good gas mileage a little bit of :burnout: but most importantly i want to make it sound like it has a 440. Lol. So basically how do i keep the engine pretty much stock except maybe ill get the super six setup or another setup such as a 4bbl or 2bbl intake with a holley and some headers? And what will i need to make it sound like a BEAST

All your suggestions are welcome =]

an yes i want to keep the /6 reason being i live in california and i will be driving this bad boy school/work/other stuff and want gas mileage for gas prices can reach like 3 bucks lol

You really cant get any Major gains with out taking the head off.
That being said go to 2 1/4 inch exhaust and super six(2bbl) it. Electronic ignition or HEI, Change your advance curve and thats about all you can do.

If the head comes off then larger valves, some porting and mill at least .080 for increased compression (I go a minimum of .100). Recam it if you will have the engine out.
My02.
Frank

Here is the build on my 65 Barracuda.

Block has been decked .100
Head has been shaved .040, fully ported with 1.77/1.44 valves
Ported valve reliefs
Erson cam with 270 Duration (RV15m) Lift is .435/.446
Bored .030
Pistons are .040 in the hole.
It is a 74 block with less than 500 miles on it since the work has been done.
2bbl Holly 350
It has a GM HEI.
Boss Hogg 3300 stall Torque Converter.
Fiber glass fenders and hood
11.75" Discs from a 85 Diplomat on the front.
LBP 8 1/4 rear with 3.53 gears
Front end has been rebuilt with poly bushings
It has an Electric fan controlled by a thermostat
lash set at .022

She is a little rough around the edges. But mechanically she is outstanding. This thing pulls as hard as the 318 I had in the Duster.
I am really shocked and pleasantly surprised. I got 19 mpg in town putting my foot in it all the time. I can't help it. I havn't tested it on the freeway yet, but I do wish I had one more gear.

Thx for the info
so far heres my "plan" lol

Super six setup
2 1/4 exhaust
Elec Ignition
Thrusher Glasspack Muffler
Rebuild the Slanty
Get it Painted

Either go for power or go for gas milage.
You have to make that decision now and remember that it will still get good milage considering.

I had a 225 with lots done to it, lets just say, and still got 21mph @ 3800rpm going 80mph up the grapevine at a whole 175f engine temp.
Get full length header, mill .080, cam w/260-270ish duration, 350 holley 2 brl or 390cfm 4 barrel, 2200 rpm stall convertor and minimum 2.93 gear.

IMO

but most importantly i want to make it sound like it has a 440. Lol.

Hate to burst your bubble, but while you can make a slant LOUDER, you're never going to make it sound like a 440. Or even a 273. Ever heard an import with a fart can? Inline fours, inline sixes, V-10's, etc, all have their own distinct sound. The only time you might fool somebody is at idle. Once the engine spins up a few hundred RPMs, the cat's outta the bag.

That said, a slant six can make a REALLY nice sound with the right exhaust...

i think slants are slants, you cant make them sound like a v-8. if you could, that would be sweet,

Here's a wild one for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-qqeK0B-I

When this gets wound up, it sounds like a V-12.

Two places I recommend you check. YouTube for Slant Six Exhaust for sonic expectations. http://www.slantsix.org for possibilities of what can be done with the leaning tower of power.

Given you have made some choices already. Recommend milling the head .050. No gas problems and you won't have to go to shorter pushrods. If a pre72 engine, recommend hardened valve seats.

To get a meaner sound, suggest changing the cam. Just enlarging the pipe produces a deeper tone. With the low restriction muffler, a few more mechanical noises may creep through. There's a group buy for a Sig Erson over as slantsix.org that is generating a bit of interest. Also, CompCams & Mopar Performance each make a pair of cams for the engine.

to all those said can't make it sound like v8 I was just curious and I know you can't since they have different cadences lol

I all most have her out of there. Just need to take the motor and trans mounts loos and hoist it on up and out.

Did you ever mention the year of your car. Being from the east and hearing all the restrictions on Caly cars I was wondering what your emissions requirement are. After that you can increase the power and keep your mileage--or improve it. Any mod that makes it more efficient will increase both. Free flowing exhaust, better carb(motorcraft 2100 is a good choice, plentiful,super simple, and lots of jetting options) mild cam, head mill and port cleanup work wonders. No one has mentioned the tranny yet. If you can locate a later one with the lockup and lower 1st gear ratio you can increase the stall speed without losing the mpg at cruise from converter slippage. If you know what tire diameter you will be using you can tailor your rear gear choice to get the cruise rpm's you want.

Good luck

He has a 71 Scamp. So no emissions requierments for it. Pollut away!

I think it is 76 and newer that need to be smoged here in California.

Most do have a suitable ported vac source. There are several sizes of them. They start at 1.08 and go to 1.21 venturi size. The slant will best accept the 1.08. The numbers are on the left side of the float housing and behind the accel pump link. Stay away from the 2150 series. If it has extra "stuff" on it, pass it up, ie: an appendage on the back(aneroid?), an extra-smaller choke shaft or little metering rod looking things in the venturi. Good hunting!

I'm going to rebuild the engine but i'm not sure which cam to purchase for the car also is there a need for a torque converter for I'm rebuilding the transmission maybe a 2200 stall coverter

I'm going to rebuild the engine but i'm not sure which cam to purchase for the car also is there a need for a torque converter for I'm rebuilding the transmission maybe a 2200 stall coverter
When you start getting some plans together let me know and I can help you select a cam.
Frank

-
Back