/6 swap for 318 now it won't even turn the starter? nuetral safty switcch?

-

169dart4y

Reaction score
I just got done with the engine trans swap out of a 74 dart swinger and nothing at the ignition when you try to turn it over? The starter won't even click.
The rest of the car seems to work fine,blinkers ,lights gauges,dome light, horn. I thought it might be the park/neutral safety switch. I even tried taking my old 904 trans lines and switching them from the 74 dart harness.
I tried to adjust the linkage ,no go ?

Any thought or should I just buy a new safety switch? Are there parts in the steering column that are wired to the safety switch, because it was taken apart by a shop to have the shorten the steering column and weld a splined shaft in it? I'm just thinking they did not hook up something? I already took the steering wheel back off because they neglected to even put the wire to the horn back right so the horn did not work.:wack:

More than likely the shifter linkage to the shift lever at the trans needs adjusting. If the trans is not completely in park, you can not start the engine. Try starting the engine in neutral shifter position, David.

I tried that. I adjusted it a couple of times ,loosen the shaft that comes down from the column , tried to put the trans in park by hand . tried starting in nuetral ,tried park, tried holding the shift up hard . No luck !

Try grounding the NSS terminal on the starter relay, if it starts there is a problem in the NSS harness or switch, if it doesn't start check the column harness and connector and also the bulkhead connector.

Try grounding the NSS terminal on the starter relay, if it starts there is a problem in the NSS harness or switch, if it doesn't start check the column harness and connector and also the bulkhead connector.

Ground the NSS ? Is this where the brown wire goes to the relay ?

What do I do cross the posts with a screw driver?

Checked the bulkhead and tried a different NSS harness off my 69.

It could be the switch it self since I never drove the car . The guy had a starter switch under the dash ? This could be the problem,

Maybe just the switch easy fix

Ground the NSS ? Is this where the brown wire goes to the relay ?

What do I do cross the posts with a screw driver?

Disconnect the brown wire from the starter relay. Connect a wire to that post on the starter relay, other end to bare metal or the negative post on the battery.

If it starts like that, then the problem is with NSS or wire, if not, then look elsewhere.

Disconnect the brown wire from the starter relay. Connect a wire to that post on the starter relay, other end to bare metal or the negative post on the battery.

If it starts like that, then the problem is with NSS or wire, if not, then look elsewhere.

Thanks I'll try that , That would eliminate the NSS or the wires if I still have a problem.

Tried that with no luck, I guess I'll have to try elsewhere? Thanks for the suggestions

PO had a starter switch under the dash???? 74 had the seat belt interlock - wonder if that switch was bypassing a defective interlock....

Block the wheels,pull the emergency brake first....just in case :cheers:

With that add on starter switch, my bet is problem with ignition switch or it's wiring, but lets take one thing at a time.

------------------------------------------------

Starter relay has 4 connections.

The push on connector from the NSS. That provides ground when the trans is in P or N

The push on connector from the ignition switch. This provides + when the key is in the start position. When that happens, current goes through the relay and out to ground through the NSS, activating the relay.

The large stud with the nut. This is + from the battery

The small screw connection. When the relay is activated, this is connected to the
+ from the battery, and sends it to the starter.

-----------------------------------------------

Take a screwdriver and touch the large stud connection and the small screw connection (make sure you're not touching the metal part of the screwdriver) This bypasses the relay, and the starter should crank. If not, then there is a problem with the starter itself, or the wiring from starter to relay to battery.

If the starter works that way, then disconnect the push on wire from the ignition. Attatch a jumper wire to that terminal on the relay, and touch the other end to + terminal on the battery. If that makes the starter crank, then the relay is good, and the problem is with the ignition switch or it's wiring.

I found out that it was the relay next to the ballast resistor. bypassed the relay and it fired right up .The yellow wire that leads to the starter relay.:cheers: Thanks for all the help and suggestion to everyone

Glad to hear it worked out. Was the thing you bypassed part of the '74 harness? Probably the overide switch for the infamous seatbelt interlock system.

169Dart4Y, I had exactly the same problem with that yellow wire in my '62 Valiant! Boy, was it hard to troubleshoot. I believe that yellow wire will sometimes become shorted to ground for some reason, but I'm not sure exactly why. Mine had obviously been shorted because all the copper in the wire had become copper oxide from overheating, and it didn't conduct well at all. I'm afraid you might have to replace that yellow wire completely before it will start reliably.

318enginecompart-1.jpg
I just cut the wire and connected it to the other yellow wire coming out of the relay that goes to the starter relay down need the battery. The answer to the other guy yes the relay and the yellow wires were part of the 74 dart swinger harness. See the relay on the right side with the red connector that's the relay with one yellow wire going in from the firewall and one yellow with black strip going to the starter relay. This is the 74 dart parts car .
Thanks

-
Back