/6 swap for 318 now it won't even turn the starter? nuetral safty switcch?

-

169dart4y

Reaction score
I'm done with my 318 swap and I'm thinking there is a problem with the neutral safety switch?

The three wires , middle brown strait to the starter relay , the out side black wire goes to the bulk head /wiper bulk head. The third wire is the other out side wire on the three prong switch , it also goes to the wiper bulk head next to the other black wire . this one is black with a white stripe.

This is the way my 69 dart with a slant six was wired when I took it apart.It also had a 904 auto trans . The 904 trans that I'm using with the 318 is a 74 dart swinger . I tried to adjust the linkage , tried neutral , tried drive , everything else in the car seems to work correct.

I'm using the 69 wiring harness and added the 74 v 8 electronic ignition to the slant six harness .

The two outside wires are for the backup lights, so I wouldn't worry about them at this point.

The center (brown) wire should be providing a ground connection to the starter relay when the trans is in P or N.

You can check this with either an ohmmeter (connect one wire to the center post on the NSS and one wire to bare metal on the body, should be 0 ohms in P or N.) or with a 12 volt test light. (connect one wire to the center post on the NSS and the other to the + battery terminal, should light up in P or N)

Dan's right. The center pin (brown wire) is the one that supplies the ground to the starter relay. You can temporarily ground it out at the starter relay and see if it'll crank over. It's possible it's a bad switch.

Dan's right. The center pin (brown wire) is the one that supplies the ground to the starter relay. You can temporarily ground it out at the starter relay and see if it'll crank over. It's possible it's a bad switch.

Must be somewhere else ? I tried that! Thanks

Did you try engaging the starter relay right at the relay? All you need to do is apply battery positive to the other little terminal opposite the NSS terminal. That should make it crank as long as the starter, relay and battery are good. If it don't crank then test those 3 parts.

I can bump the starter with the relay and I have power to the red wire /hot at the ignition. Should the ballast resistor get hot when I turn the ignition on like I'm going to start it?

Did you try engaging the starter relay right at the relay? All you need to do is apply battery positive to the other little terminal opposite the NSS terminal. That should make it crank as long as the starter, relay and battery are good. If it don't crank then test those 3 parts.

Yeah the ballast should get hot if you have the key on but it's not running. It might take a couple of minutes or more but it should warm up.

BTW: Are all the dash lights, dome light, and front and rear lights working?

IMG_0962.jpg
Hey,
Thanks for everyone's input on the wiring issue, I got someone over tonight with more experience then me with wiring and the right kind of tester. He figured out the relay next to the ballast resistor and electronic ignition was bad so we just by passed that and no problem fired right up.

Thanks again :cheers:

-
Back