/6 temp sending unit

-

RJG

Reaction score
I am in need of a temp sending unit for my '63 valiant. I am getting poor info.from typical parts suppliers. It should be a simple, standard part. Engine and guages on the car are stock. Is there a part number and or brand I can request? Thanks,
Rjg

I assume you have a gage and not just a warning light.

Rockauto.com shows just 1 for your car, $14:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TS52 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} TEMPERATURE SENDER - WITH LIGHT; Thread Size - NPT: 1/4" x 18 Thread; Terminal Type: Button Terminal; Terminal Gender: Male; Temperature Rating: Closed at 100 Deg. F 125 Ohms w/ 17 % Tolerance; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Terminals: 1; Connector Gender: Male

If I go to my 64 Valiant 225, I see 3 choices, staring at $2.50:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TS17T T-Series $2.48

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1T1010 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} 13mm w/o A.C.; w/Gauge $5.65

Plus one for a dash light (didn't copy).

If I try a 65 Dart 225, I find other choices:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TS18 {#2426459} TEMPERATURE SENDER - WITH GAUGE; Thread Size - NPT: 1/8" - 27 Thread; Terminal Type: Button Terminal; Terminal Gender: Male; Temperature Rating: Closed at 100 Deg. F 129 Ohms w/ 5% Tolerance; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Terminals: 1; Connector Gender: Male
$4.36

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1T1010 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} 13mm, w/o A.C.; w/Gauge $5.65

Plus they show a big sensor for a light. It is as big as the funky 2 light switch (grn & red dash light) in my 65 Newport. I don't think any early A's had dash lights. I have just seen gages.

Rock will kill you on shipping, so try to combine orders that ship from the same place. You have to filter their info and compare several model cars sometimes.

No reason you can't go to your local parts store and just BUY one. Anything for a light is just plain wrong. I'm finding more and more, than online applications are AFU

I had the same prob as you from down here in Australia.
Your '63 has a different temp sender to the other years.
I forget now which one I used, but Dan The Man set me straight.
He actually even bought me one and shipped it Downunder for me at cost.

I'm sure that he won't mind a PM from you, username:
slantsixdan

He knows it all
Hope that helps

slantsix.org lists Standard TS-3 for the large threaded one and Ampco TU-22 for the small threaded one I believe 63 used the small one and 64 and up used the larger one. Note if the head has been replaced use the one that fits. Also these numbers may be replaced or obsolete.

Brian

As bcschief's info implies, most gage-type sensors are equivalent electrically. I suspect the sensor is a coil of platinum wire, termed "RTD" (resistance thermal device). Most RTD's have a standard base resistance and change of resistance with temperature (American or European curve). Thus, the main difference is the pipe thread and the electrical connector. The former you can use a bushing if the sensor is too small. The connectors are fairly simple, either a round push on or a mushroom that a female spade connector can slide over. Thus, we should never wind up orphaned on temp sensors.

-
Back