/6 to 318

-

usdart

Reaction score
So I scored a low mileage 318 with a 4 bbl intake. I am going to freshen it up for use in my /6 Dart. I know about the engine mounts etc for the swap. What I don't know is will the slant trans mount to the 318 with only a bell housing and flywheel change?

your talking automatic right? you would need a smallblock 904 trans because of the starter mount is different on the /6 tranny you can use the /6 torque converter with the 318 it would give you a bit of a stall

If your talking auto ( I don't think you are though) then it wont work....you would need a small block 904/727.

however though, I don't see why with a stick car you couldnt pick up a v8 bellhousing and flywheel and what not and be just fine.

the slant 6 tranny might have a lower set of gear ratios than one that might be behind a v8 but should be fine and you could always change rear gears down the road to better match the gears in the trans if thats the case.

im not 100% on any of this so ill let others chime in....but I think you should be fine.

Talking Automatic 904 trans that I would like to use on the 318..can I just change the bell housing to make it work?

Auto's don't use bell housings or flywheels bro, thus the confusion. What you need is a 904 automatic transmition and and torque converter for a 318 because they are different than the one from the /6.

no...the auto's are all one single casted housing...no removable bell housing.

you will need an entire transmission from a v8 car.

Auto's don't use bell housings or flywheels bro, thus the confusion. What you need is a 904 automatic transmition and and torque converter for a 318 because they are different than the one from the /6.

and the matching "flex plate" which like mentioned is where the confusion came into play lol ....not flywheel like a stick would use.

Every once in a while you get to prove how dumb some folks are!

Thank you for your patience gentlemen...

even the best of us can be a little slow at times lol...don't sweat it.

hope you get figured out what you have planned for the 318 swap.

Better start looking for an 8.25 or 8.75 rear differential because that 318 will probably make short work of what is likely the 7.25 that is in it now lol. Goodluck

I did the swap once before but I had a 318 AND trans that I put in with a 7.25 and it held up good. At my age I don't think I will hurt it.
The 318 is my favorite engine so I want another one. Besides I built a 318 and a 360 myself and it is fun sooo here we go again.

](*,)how would u swap manual 3 speed 6cyl {71 duster}to 85 318 auto motor needs freshing used a little oil when in wifes car{85 new yorker}want to keep manual trans 3 or 4 speed can do or should buy late model motor

Start your won thread George, that's Hi-jackin. Do a search or read this one again as well as others.

-
Back