/6 to 360 questions

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
I got the /6 out and can't seem to give it away...

I got a 360 on the stand ready to be cleaned up and dropped in. I am not doing anything to the engine yet due to finances, I jsut want to get it in the car and repalce any parts that could be worn down. I will pull it in a few years and have it rebuilt.

I need to start gettign the car ready for a bigger motor and need to know a few things. I do have the tranny that came with the engine, a 727.

I am leanging towards the schumacher swap kit. Will I need to change the steering at all? Looks like it will be tight if I don't.

And I know I will need beefire suspension and what not. Can anyone give me good ides where to start there?

Get the Trans-Dapt engine mount kit. It is correct for installing 340 or 360 engines on '67-'72 slant six A body k frames. It works perfectly and costs under $65, has both rubber isolators, all fasteners and both brackets that bolt to the block and instructions.

Summit Racing and Northern Auto Parts sell the mount kit:

TRD-4695

$59.95
Estimated Ship Date: Today
Overview Application Warranty
Show All
Brand: Trans-Dapt Performance Products
Product Line: Trans-Dapt Performance Engine Swap Motor Mounts
Part Type: Motor Mounts and Inserts
Motor Mount Style: Complete mount
Bushing Material: Rubber
Bushing Color: Black
Bracket Included: Yes
Bracket Finish: Black
Transmission Mount Included: No
Quantity: Sold as a kit.
Notes: Designed to put a V8 engine into cars originally equipped with a slant 6.

Motor Mounts, Swap Mount, Steel/Rubber, Black/Black, Dodge/Plymouth, Barracuda/Dart/Scamp, V8 to Slant 6, Kit

The trans will fit. All the odds and ends are a hassle. Throttle cable, radiater, kickdown linkage?, drive shaft, speedo gear,angle oil filter adapter?, exhaust?. What did I forget? LOL Good luck

65 bucks... That's 100 bucks cheaper then what I was looking at.

I figured the little stuff would get me... I am slowly figuring out all that I need and plan to start shopping for parts in the next week or two.

The earlier A bodies can use that kit easy. Later A bodies have a problem with it. It is the spool type vs the sandwich type mounts where the spool throws a wrench in the works.

Look here and see what I am doing on a '74 Duster for tips; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&page=1&pp=20
Theres a bunch more in that section to also take a peak at.

If the car has a \6 then it likely has 9" drum brakes. These are woefully inadequate on todays roads. First thing you should do is upgrade the brakes.

Go to Autozone or Advance Auto and order a 22" 318 AC / 340 heavy duty radiator for a 72 Dart. It will be a drop in your car, you need the 72 because the water pump in let will be on the passenger side of your 360. The older v8's had the inlet on the drivers side.

The car likely has a 7.25" rear end. You can drive it with the rear end but it's not going to last long with a 360 if you use the power. Start looking for an 8.75 or 8.25 rear end.

When I did the \ to 360 swap I used big block torsion bars up front, car handles much better. I also put new XHD springs on the rear.

You drive shaft will need to be shortened and rebalanced. Also, the 727 tranny has a larger yoke than the 904 so you will need that too for the drive shaft. Wire under the hood will work, the oil pressure sender wire on the \6 is long and it will be easier to cut it down and add a new end.

Hopefully your 360 has all the pulleys and brackets or you will be scrounging for them. You do not need to do anything to the steering to put the v8 in, it's only the 66 and older A-bodies that require the center link to be swapped.

Wow.

Great info everyone. I have more then enough info to get started... Actually a little overhwhelmed at this point but I am quick learner.

I already got some breaks headed this way so no worries there. Actually my girlfriend insisted when I told her it would be unsafe if I didn't upgrade them.

I still need read though your thread rumblefish360. Looks like a really good write up.

Thanks to all and keep it coming. this is my new favorite website! :headbang:

Hey. no problem. Itis a long read and the project is unfinished. Currently stalled for now.
The above posters gave some very good advice and get thumbs up from me. There all smart with alot of been there done that behind them. The other fellas have a link in there sig.'s, take a min. and click them.

Hey, you're down in Colorado Springs? I live right up in Monument! Just wondering, where/who did you get your 360 from? I'm looking for one also to build up nice and drop in place of my 318.

Trans Dapt kit works well.

IM000760.jpg

I found the motor in Loveland actually... A bit of a drive for an engine, but I got to hear it run before it was pulled from the car. I found it on Craigslist. I search Denver more then the springs because the results are better.

My buddy lives in Monument and has a nice buggy (rock climbing) and is building a '54 ford. Well not building. making it a rat rod.

I will look at those mounts too. Still got some time to figure thins out. Thanks!

A "C" body drive shaft should have the right ends and is longer than needed - shorten to correct length, balance and go. Unfortunately if you change to the 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 you will need to shorten again - but thats better than starting with a "short one".

-
Back