/6 to 360 swap?

-

Rob

Reaction score
I'm getting ready do to this, been gathering parts and whatnot for a while. I could have sworn there was a thread that covered all the angles on the swap but can't find it anywhere?

I have the motor mounts to make it happen but not sure what other pitfalls there are, did read a short thread on pan clearance issues with the centerlink. I assume there are rad issues too and so on?

If you don't have a V8 fan shroud, you can use the one from your slant six. Flip it over 180 deg. and it will need just a minor trim at the bottom to clear the lower radiator hose.

If you don't have a V8 fan shroud, you can use the one from your slant six. Flip it over 180 deg. and it will need just a minor trim at the bottom to clear the lower radiator hose.

the /6 rad can be used? I figured I would need a bigger rad.

I don't know about the differences between the two radiators, but if I recall correctly, the shroud mounts to the radiator support, not the radiator itself. I'm not sure what constitutes a "bigger" radiator, either, but the width is limited by the size of the opening in the support, as well as the mounting bolt locations. Regardless, the shroud spans across the opening.

My son and I pulled a 360 from his granddad's Dodge Maxivan and put it in his '74 Duster, along with the radiator from the van. We didn't have a V8 shroud (they are completely different in vans), but we noticed that the slant six shroud's fan opening is slightly off center. We also noticed that the 360 doesn't sit exactly dead center in the engine bay.

On a whim, we rotated the shroud 180 deg. upside down and it fit like a glove. The fan blades are equally spaced in the opening, left-to-right and top-to-bottom. The radiator from the van was not OEM, but it was a replacement and supposedly remedied an overheating problem. I don't have measurements from the radiator, but I don't recall it being much larger, if any, than the original one for the slant six.

Anyone???

-
Back