/6 to 360 swap

-

74duster510

Reaction score
i have a 74 duster with the 225
what would i have to do with the suspension and transmission for it to ride good?
any help is great thank you

i have a 74 duster with the 225
what would i have to do with the suspension and transmission for it to ride good?
any help is great thank you

Well some new torsion bars is a good choise but im still running my stock /6 bars with my 360 some new shocks some new leaf springs will help.

You might want to look at the 1in torsion car depending on the use of the car.

Front disc brakes are a big help and a front sway bar is a major help.

Well, I'd upgrade many things, not just the suspension.

-I'd use a small block 904 trans, you probably "should" upgrade to an 8 3/4 rear or at least an 8 1/4. You may need a longer or shorter driveshaft.

-Upgrade to later model large bolt pattern disc brakes if not already equipped. Upgrade the cooling system for a V8. I would use 1.0" or larger, but not by much, torsion bars, as these cars are already under sprung from the factory.

-I'm assuming you have the proper conversion mounts?

im gonna get the schumacher mounts
im just trying to get a list together of what i will need to get and do
i just installed new front shocks because the originals were shot.
im not on that big of a budget im gonna try the junk yard for disc brakes and maybe a rear end

Go thru the 904 and beef it. Look into the 8.8 Swap too. Search the site and read read read.

Sounds like you have a lot of choices to make. You asked a very open ended question. First of all, what do you want out of this car? Dragster, cruiser, daily driver? That will dictate what choices you should make vs. what you have the budget for.... After you figure that out, you can plan your build accordingly with more realistic plans. The Mopar gurus will then be able to help you out a lot more.

well i want it to be my daily driver but i want to be able to drive it hard too
im looking for the easiest way i guess. im open to any suggestions
i havnt got the 360 yet, would getting a 318 be any easier or the same thing just with less power?

Go with the 360, same block and same things needed for the swap and more power. Price should be about the same. When I did my swap I put a new radiator in it and the schumaker mounts. If I had the money I would def. add front disks and get some better torsion bars though.

you must replace the transmission or recase it , the bell housings are different between /6 and v8.

Lon;

I got a 727 with my motor so that's what happened there. I have the 7 1/4 in it right now still and I beat the snot out of it but I have a 8 1/4 sitting in my garage waiting to go in. As long as your not hooking you should be ok with the 7 1/4 but if you have the money def. go with a better rear. I have been pushing my luck for too long with this rear end.

Here's a link for the schumacker installation and TECH TIPS for your /6 to 360 swap. It goes through installing the new mounts, but even MORE helpful is the tips that tell you to do certain upgrades like disc brakes, transmission, drive shaft mod, rear end Ect. Read it and it'll give you an overview of your project. You don't have to do the upgrades, but you do have some mods that are necessary if you swap out transmissions.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/InstructionPages/A67S6-SB.html

how hard do you drive the thing?

Only been driven for 15 mins by us. But on the test drive the guy drove it like he stole it. Came out of his apartment complex sideways and hithe hit the end of the road and cut the wheel hard and spinnin the tires and then hit some tight corners. The thing did pretty well considering no subframe connectors or sway bars. I like them a lot

-
Back