/6 to SB motor mount questions? Schumacher Alternative?

-

porksoda

Reaction score
Well I am curious about what mounts to use when swapping my /6 to 318.
I know I can buy Schumacher mount kit (A63A) which is about $162 shipped.
But I have been reading that the early a bodies all have the same k-member. So it doesn't matter whether or not it is /6 or SB.
I was wondering if I were to just buy some original 273 SB motor mounts out of a early a body will that work too?
I know that I can usually find the original style motor mounts out of early a's for around $80-100 less then Schumacher.
Well thanks for all the info in advance.

I don't know the earlier A-body K members are the same, That may be true. I know the center link of the steering are different. V8 will need a drop link for a V8.
If given the opportunity to upgrade to the failsafe motor supports I would shop for the best price and go that route.

64-66 "K" members are the same, whether V-8 or slant six. You can use the stock 273 engine brackets to install a 318 in a slant six 64-65 "A" body. You will need the "dropped" drag link. 64-65 had different drag link depending on slant six, or small block. Most 66 used the dropped drag link, regardless of the engine. Also if the slant six car ever had the drag link replaced during it's lifetime, it might have the dropped link. You need to check. With the Schumacher kit they raise the engine higher then original, so it is not necessay to change the drag link.
Just a FYI. The spitfire type headers that Laysons sell, you need to order the correct ones depending on whether the stock mounts are used or the Schumacher kit.

along the same questioning, i'm fixin to drop in 360 ( pickup motor). into the /6 65 dart,,, i know i need the 360 car brackets and oil pan, however, do i need the thick 360 rubber mounts or i see on ebay a thin mount??? ya know how ebay says this and that are for the 273!?? also if i don't get the 360 brackets, don't the 318 brackets work with a few washers? thanks

You can't use the 360 mounts, but you can easily modify the 273 brackets to work. Do search in the forum there are a couple different ways and there's been a lot of info shared about this.

I just did this swap in May this year.

The K member is the same in 1966 whether it be /6 or V8.

The Schumacher pieces will work(too deep for my pockets tho) or you need the 273 adaptor blocks.

It does require a "dropped" center link.

I used 2 drivers side slant six motor mounts for the actual mounts. It took me awhile to get this figured out since I tried several other set-ups that didn't work.

The biggest pain was the exhaust manifolds since i have power steering and like it so I wanted to keep it that way. I had to find a set of 1966 273 manifolds(especially for the drivers side) to fit in there. Passenger side is more forgiving. Up to 1966, A bodies were about 2 inches narrower that later years. On the drivers side, we had to tie the manifold to the steering column as we set the engine down in place. Dennis

The later ones wont work, 63-66 only. And the V8 ones drop alot more then the /6 ones.

Unfortunately only the early center links work and they are about an inch or so more than the /6 one.

I have heard in places that towards the end of the model run that they used the "dropped" center link in all cars, /6 or V8 but cannot verify that. I was not so lucky.

I guess that is why Schumacher is not the worst option in the world. You don't need the change the link for their mounts so you don't have the cost and trouble of finding the "dropped" center link, adaptor blocks and actual motor mounts. You can get it all in one place.

I considered it but was lucky enough to get all parts from the good people of FABO. Dennis

I have actually used the factory 273 mounts with thick aluminum spacers between the mount and the k-frame to lift the oil pan off of the center link. It worked and was still cheaper then buying aftermarket mounts..

-
Back