/6 torque converter with V8

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
In need of a.new converter for my new trans build. A904. Low gearset. 3:50 gears 28" tall rear tire. Tf2 shift kit. Kevlar bands. Hd torque strut. Since. I need to sell the car soon. But didn't want to spend 500.00 at ptc for thete 9.5" unit built 318/ 302 heafs. 340 cam. Airgap intake full headers etc. Hear a /6 converter@ 2200 stall that will work or is hughes or tci better for money? What have you. Guys used in past?

Just put a factory 340 high stall in it.

Some 318 converters shouldn't be overlooked. A904 is a great transmission.

Can't. Use a 340 converter only with 727 trans. The stall is right though

Can too. Call Precision. Tell them what you have. They can make a 340 high stall for the 904. I don't give advice to waste typing. Call them. .

Brother, CVC Converters shows a high stall for the 904 that fits both slant 6 and 318 engines. Here's the link to the catalog.

Consolidated Vehicle Converters - CVC-2015-Catalog

You just have to make sure you get the right one lock-up vs non lock up. If you go to the distributor page on their website, you can put the part number in to get a price. I checked recently for a converter for my slant 6 pickup (727) and it was only $93, which I think is reasonable. Keep in mind this isn't TCI or B&M, but I understand they make good stuff. If you don't punish it too much you should be fine.

Good luck...

Kendall in PA

In need of a.new converter for my new trans build. A904. Low gearset. 3:50 gears 28" tall rear tire. Tf2 shift kit. Kevlar bands. Hd torque strut. Since. I need to sell the car soon. But didn't want to spend 500.00 at ptc for thete 9.5" unit built 318/ 302 heafs. 340 cam. Airgap intake full headers etc. Hear a /6 converter@ 2200 stall that will work or is hughes or tci better for money? What have you. Guys used in past?

At $93.00 I think that this would just be a rebuilt stock converter. I'd ask what has been done to it before laying out the cash.

well precision e-mailed back to me 425.00 plus shipping, no core 100.00 hell, ptc was custom built at 500.00 plus shipping and 9.5"

The slanty juice-wheel will probably stall ~2300 behind a 318, maybe a tick more depending on the squeeze w/the 302 heads.

450 for a decent converter is pretty dang reasonable. If you're lookin for somethin much cheaper, put a stock converter in it.

Well @2200-2400/2500 rpm stall is also out where i need it. The 318 zero decked pistions. Before cam duration figured @ 9.8-10:1 compression. After the mp 340 cam duration@ 9.5 compression. With #302 casting heads. If /6 converter will work. In this range. I might go this route.

never heard of a slant 6 converter in a small block before, I guess the same, and my question is,,, what ears would I use? 1973 318 block and transmission...

Not sure you'll get many replies as not many people have done it. It's similar to using the Chevy Vega converter behind a big block. One guy did it and had good results.......because he was running an anemic big block. But put some serious power through it and "BLEWEY!"

.....and you said you were going to sell this car? I sure hope no one here buys it.

There's a reason they call them a slant six converter and it's not because they came behind 318s.

never heard of a slant 6 converter in a small block before, I guess the same, and my question is,,, what ears would I use? 1973 318 block and transmission...
From the factory: 1968-up 225/318 factory low stall.
1968-up 225/318 factory high stall.
The leaning tower of power and the 318 used the same converters. Lockups started in 1978.
These are of course NON-LOCKUP converters. Both have a narrow ring gear with the large 1.810 pilot. Stall speed is arguementive: Some say the low stall was around 1800-1900 rpm, with the high stall being about 200 rpm more. Others may disagree.
Your on a budget, so obviously any converter other than a rebuilt factory unit will be out of the question, this I totally understand. All the questions you've asked have been answered by board members, so make a decision.

ok I get it, will figure it out, was just trying to get best bang for the buck with out calling ptc.. which is what I d rather do...

I have an old stall chart, the slant TC was rated 1800-2100, vs 1700-2000 for the 318. If You stop & think about it, w/more torque the 318 would stall the same juice-
wheel higher not lower, so there's no doubt something was different OE. I doubt the /6 904 converter is somehow inferior in build strength to an 8cyl. unit, what would
they "cheap out" on & why?

I have an old stall chart, the slant TC was rated 1800-2100, vs 1700-2000 for the 318. If You stop & think about it, w/more torque the 318 would stall the same juice-
wheel higher not lower, so there's no doubt something was different OE. I doubt the /6 904 converter is somehow inferior in build strength to an 8cyl. unit, what would
they "cheap out" on & why?

well. I almost have enough saved for the PTC 9.5" 2400-2800 stall converter.... decided to do it right.. hope it is worth the extra dough.....

-
Back