/6 tune up. am i missing anything?

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
ive decided to do a routine tune up on my car (well i dont know routine, but i feel like its runnin like crap) i got new spark plugs an wires, cap, rotor, points an condenser (havent found an electronic ignition conversion for my /6)

i also will be doin an oil change an will be changing the oil filter of course

am i missing anything??

Adjust the valves to spec. check all vac line for cracks/leaks. PCV valve working correctly. Fuel filter, maybe fuel pump. I could go on but it's a never ending cycle;-) Oh the coil, maybe the condenser(year applies). Have you looked into the Petronix unit to upgrade to EI?

TF

A reman'd distributor would include most of those components.
New points in a worn out distributor is a waste of time and money. I learned this the hard way.

as stated already -valve adjustment! it probrably hasnt been done in a very long time. i still gotta figure out how to adjust mine, lots of good info on here and the slantsix.org sites. dont forget to check the timing too.

I always do a compression test first so you know if the engine is good enough to tune up! You could put all new parts in but if you have a couple of dead holes, it's still gonna run bad. If compression is low anywhere, readjust the valves and see if that helps. Once you have good compression everywhere, then do your tune up.

-
Back