[WANTED] /6 Valvecover

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
photo, cleaned and painted new gasket.

slt 6 VC 80's (1).jpg

@ chignikred - your valve cover is for a standard mechanical cammed slant 6 and is not the correct one for his late model hydraulic motor.
@boosted - your in box is full. If you still need this part I can help. Start a conversation with me.

Interesting comment and my experience is limited on this era. BUT that's news to me, especially since the engine it came off of, is a hydraulic lifter motor. A chrome cover was installed.

Tried to start a conversation with you. If you still haven't found one I can help.

@ boosted - I just tried again myself moments ago and it says your inbox is full. You'll need to delete some stuff to make room and try again.
@chignikred - Boosted was kind enough to post a photo and it shows the main visual difference between the two types. On your valve cover the bolt holes all line up on either side of the cover. On the hydraulic type the right side (as installed) are not in a straight line.

Thanks for the informative post. Well it has been a few weeks since I learned anything new. Today was my special day.

For a hydraulic /6 81-87 model years is what I was told... I am in GA so figure shipping to 31820 via paypal.
Do you have a picture of what you need? I have one that I would sell real cheap.

Thanks for the informative post. Well it has been a few weeks since I learned anything new. Today was my special day.

Mine too! I knew the hydraulic head and valve cover were different, I didn't know how. Now I do.

Yes it is in post #7 of this one.Take a close look at the bottom bolt hole locations as this is what seems to be the big difference in them.

@chignikred - It is I who owe you and the FABO community an apology. After getting my hydraulic valve cover out to confirm shape I found out I was in error and yours is a hydraulic cammed slant 6 valve cover. Mine had the same in line bolt holes as yours even though I thought it was the offset type. I was under the mistaken impression that all hydraulic valve covers were the same and they are not. It is clear that there are two types of valve covers for the hydraulic motors. Would be very interested to know the original applications of the two different types.

@chignikred - It is I who owe you and the FABO community an apology. After getting my hydraulic valve cover out to confirm shape I found out I was in error and yours is a hydraulic cammed slant 6 valve cover. Mine had the same in line bolt holes as yours even though I thought it was the offset type. I was under the mistaken impression that all hydraulic valve covers were the same and they are not. It is clear that there are two types of valve covers for the hydraulic motors. Would be very interested to know the original applications of the two different types.

Well how bout THAT? I would be curious to hear what @slantsixdan has to add to this.

There are three Slant-6 valve cover bolt patterns:

1. used on 1958-1959 prototype engines. Almost nonexistent even when new, they are a less-than-once-in-a-lottery-ticket sighting these days.

2. used on 1960-1980 production engines. Four different valve covers, all bolt-on interchangeable.

3. used on 1981-1987 production engines. One kind of cover.

What's caused the confusion here is that while the '81-'87 hydraulic-lifter engines all came with the final-style valve cover as shown in post № 7 of this thread, the pre-'81 cylinder head bolts right onto the '81-up block and accepts the hydraulic-lifter valvetrain components. The newest Slant-6 engine installed in a new production vehicle left the factory 3-1/5 decades ago—plenty of time for parts swapping to have happened.

Thanks to V P to clarify his position, and to Dan ( the Oak Street wonder) to clear the fog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back