61 Dodge Lancer 6 to ? conversion

-

HemimanDan

Reaction score
I have a customer who has a 61 Lancer two door. Clean car with 225 slant six and 904 push button auto. He lost a rod bearing in the slant and has asked me if it is possible to put a late model V-6 or ? in the car to improve fuel mileage and dependability. He was thinking something like a Dakota V-6 and auto. Has anyone ever done this type of swap and if so what are the pitfalls. I want him to let me fix the slant, but he didn't like the mileage. Any suggestions as to how the mileage can be improved?
HemimanDan

My slant in my 64 Dart Wagon used to get 25mpg average. That was with a 1bbl and point ignition. I would suggest to just put a slant back in it with a electronic ignition upgrade. And hardened valve seats for unleaded. The only way to not good gas mileage is to not keep the valves in adjustment, and points and plugs. Other than that that's it. As far as longevity goes I had over 500,000 miles on my motor before it died. Even then it really didn't die, I lost a valve due to the seats being beat up from not running leaded fuel. I could of pulled the head and had it rebuilt but it was an excuse to go with a v8. I also believe the newer V6 will have a fitment issue due to a small engine compartment just like the V8. And being that the early cars never had the V6 getting a special exhaust manifold to fit like the V8 is not gonna happen. I would also suggest telling your customer about another website. www.slantsix.org

The car has a slant 6 and they want Better fuel mileage?

Hmm, buy a Prius.

older Lancer/ , and pre 1963 Valiant;
you can have a V8, but not a heater.

Find another 225;

Electronic ignition, and a full tuneup,
including adjusting the rockers, might help.

do a compression test, After adjusting the valves.

cavemanmoron said:
The car has a slant 6 and they want Better fuel mileage?

Hmm, buy a Prius.

:hello1: :hello1:

Really well said!!

All though, prius is not feeling very well after 20 years... :puke:

I'd look for a cheap well tuned 318. Good jump in power and if tuned right should get better MPG then the tired old slant that was in it. So long as the gears are steep and motor can breath well I think that dollor for dollor that's the most cost effective swap...

-
Back