62 granatelli Plymouth at flying mile

-

rustycowll69

Reaction score
Not an a-body subject, but my late friend owned a (supercharged?)62 Plymouth (possibly a 62 Dodge), that he claimed was raced on the flying mile by the Granatelli bros. on the sand at Daytona Beach. He claimed it was the winner. Back then, you had to drive up the beach and then back, and they averaged the trap speeds. He said that on the return run, it spun 180 degrees and went backwards across the finish line. I believe he sold the car to a big mopar collector on the east coast, Frank Spittle. I've been trying to find written accounts of this, but have not found any, though I could swear I once saw it in an article in an old car magazine. Anybody know anything about this car or story?

In 1962, the Daytona Speedway was paved. Is that where he was talking about, or perhaps there was another track?

And from that I found this. About the sixth post down, "Harris" bought the car

Viewing a thread - Andy Granatelli

get-attachment.jpg

get-attachment.jpg

get-attachment.jpg

yup, that's the car! The forum post was written by his son, Jim harris Jr. Jim Sr was a helluva Mopar guy. He bought a 68 Hemi GTX convert new, once. He also had a (60ish)Ghia made Imperial limousine which was once owned by one of the Dodge Bros wives. He had several 70 300 Hurst cars, and a gorgeous red convert '58 d500(?).
Thanks for the help! I'll keep looking for the story about the flying mile at Daytona Beach.

-
Back