62 Lancer Vs 68 Dart

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
im wondering what parts of the suspension are the same, im looking at doing a friends 62 lancer (front and rear suspension) and didn't know if all the bushings, strut rods, etc are the same?

thanks!

62 is the the same as 63-66-- so 68 should be pretty close on a lot , Lawrence

All A-bdy rear suspension and rear axles are interchangeable '62 - '76. Of course there is the issue of driveshaft length, dependent on which trans and rear end you are using. Some of the forward rear leaf spring eye bushings are different sizes, also some of the spring eye bolt diameter.

In '67, the A-bdy platform was widened 1-1/2" total, or 3/4" each side. That said, the front suspension components are also completely interchangeable.

There are some caveats. The '73 - '76 upper control arms used the large ball joint than on the '62 - '72.

I would also recommend you keep the lower control arm matched with the same spindle / lower ball joint as there were some minor changes in the steering stops. Consequently, depending on the combination of parts, you could end up with either more, or less, total steering angle.

There are six different center links;
'62-66 S/6 and V8 (narrow body)
'67-72 S/6 and V8 (wide body)
'73-76 S/6 and V8 (wide body)
You can use a V8 center link with a S/6, but not the other way around.

All torsion bars are interchangeable.

Bottom line is it is very easy to make any factory parts combo work.

I don't recall all the details off the top of my head. I would strongly suggest the Tom Condran and Frank Adkins books for the definitive answers.

Hope it helps,
Mike inFL

that was a great answer and all but I still didn't get what im looking for so here is the deal...

im going to be building a 10 second blown 62 Lancer for a guy and were going to obviously rebuild the front end, wilwoods up front. can I order all the BJ's, tie rods, adjustable strut rod and matching bushing for a 68 dart and be alright.

as far as the spring eye im not sure its that clear cut! ive has slant six a bodies with both small and large bolt (1/2 and 5/8) front hangers! and from what I hear same with the small block cars!

Sorry Kid,

Didn't see this again after you posted. Yes, order the parts for a '68, no probx.

Mike

Hey Kid,

:stop: What spindles are you going to be using on the car? The lower bj's MAY be different than a '68. Let me know so I can confirm.

Mike in FL

I have spindles and discs from a 71 Dart on my Valiant 1962 and it works just fine. But thats the only thing that is the same from the 62-66. all the rest i diffrent. I suggest that you do the same that I´m going to do with my new Project.
A 1961 Valiant with the whole front end from a Dart Swinger 1974. I going to wide the frame and change the torsion cross member so it will be more space and I get a more relably K-frame for my +500hp 5.9 Magnum :D

Hey Kid,

:stop: What spindles are you going to be using on the car? The lower bj's MAY be different than a '68. Let me know so I can confirm.

Mike in FL

i was just going to run some 10" drum small bj spindles with wilwoods.

I have spindles and discs from a 71 Dart on my Valiant 1962 and it works just fine. But thats the only thing that is the same from the 62-66. all the rest i diffrent. I suggest that you do the same that I´m going to do with my new Project.
A 1961 Valiant with the whole front end from a Dart Swinger 1974. I going to wide the frame and change the torsion cross member so it will be more space and I get a more relably K-frame for my +500hp 5.9 Magnum :D

so your saying that the strut rods, LCA's, UCA's, Pivot pins are different?

i was just going to run some 10" drum small bj spindles with wilwoods.

so your saying that the strut rods, LCA's, UCA's, Pivot pins are different?

Yepp.
But why dont you use the original front end and just change the spindles and put on original Discs and KH caliper. these are just as good as the wilwoods....

60-61 valiants are not the same as 62-- 62 uses the 63-66 parts-- meaning the 9" brakes & ball joints are the same as up to 1972-- strut rod bushings are the same -- not sure if the strut rods are the same length as the 67-72-- but both are fine thread.
73 -up strut rods are shorter & coarse threaded.
center link is the same 62-66, don't recall the tie rod ends-
I swapped 10" drums from a 69 dart to a 62 valiant-- no issues at all-- the car is still driven today with that set-up-- but that was many years ago.

have you looked up the parts on rock auto to compare part numbers to what you are wanting to do?

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/moognumbers.shtml
bbdart part #'s do not know if all is correct- just a chart for reference

it only takes a few minutes to compare 62 parts -- to whatever year/parts you are wanting to change/use.
Lawrence

Yepp.
But why dont you use the original front end and just change the spindles and put on original Discs and KH caliper. these are just as good as the wilwoods....

what planet are you on? KH stuff has a huge reliability problem, they are SUPER heavy and are the same cost in the end...

and who said i wasn't using the original front end? you did lol... i just need to know if i can use adjustable strut rods, all the bushings, etc for a 68...

60-61 valiants are not the same as 62-- 62 uses the 63-66 parts-- meaning the 9" brakes & ball joints are the same as up to 1972-- strut rod bushings are the same -- not sure if the strut rods are the same length as the 67-72-- but both are fine thread.
73 -up strut rods are shorter & coarse threaded.
center link is the same 62-66, don't recall the tie rod ends-
I swapped 10" drums from a 69 dart to a 62 valiant-- no issues at all-- the car is still driven today with that set-up-- but that was many years ago.

have you looked up the parts on rock auto to compare part numbers to what you are wanting to do?

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/moognumbers.shtml
bbdart part #'s do not know if all is correct- just a chart for reference

it only takes a few minutes to compare 62 parts -- to whatever year/parts you are wanting to change/use.
Lawrence

very cool thanks. im going to use 62 parts for all the bj's and tie rods, just upgrading bushings, spindles/brakes, and strut rods.

-
Back